Roses Anyone?

Decorating By PartiesNCakes Updated 5 May 2007 , 2:22am by purplebutterfly1234

PartiesNCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartiesNCakes Posted 4 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #1 of 9

So with Mother's Day coming up I figure I might be making at least 2 cakes. I would like to work on my roses ... every time I do them the petals either drop immediately or the edges are jagged.

I feel like I have the technique down pretty well so I'm thinking it could be my icing. Does anyone have a good recipe for roses? Or could it be just something I'm doing?

I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks in advance.

8 replies
MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:01am
post #2 of 9

It sounds like it is the BC consistency that is giving you the problems. If the petals fall immediately, it's too thin. If the edges are jagged, it's too thick. What recipe do you use for your BC?

PartiesNCakes Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:06am
post #3 of 9

Here is a link to the recipe I'm using. The taste is fabulous so I'd like to figure out the problem and still be able to use it.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=69633

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 4 May 2007 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 9

I use the same bc recipe that wilton teaches to use for bc roses. I was turned on to a GREAT tip last month about making roses and it has helped me tremendously! Use a Hershey's kiss as the base of the rose instead of icing. Just add a dab of icing underneath the kiss to keep it in place. Ever since, my roses don't flop! My customers are pleasantly surprised when they bite into a Hersey's kiss!
HTH!

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for sharing that recipe. I haven't seen that one before. Can I ask a dumb question? How much whipping cream is 4-6 oz? 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup?

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 9

midwestmom, yes 1/2= 4 oz and 3/4= 6oz

I love the Hershey kiss idea but this is my problem. I just figured out that if i make my base really big I can get a rose done and then I just cut off the bottom of the base. If I used a hershey kiss I don't think I could get the bottom layer of petals done. Why do I run out of space? I do 3 then5 then 7 but if my base isn't high enough it all turnes to mush by the time I get to the 7 layer. thx

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 4 May 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 9

I personally have not done this, so don't hold this against me=) But I have read that others have added a little piping gel to the BC when making roses. Says it helps with the jagged edges. HTH some, Jen

PartiesNCakes Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 9

On the recipe that calls for whipping cream I just use a little at a time until I get the the consistency I want. I don't think I use anywhere close to 1/2 a cup. So don't just pour it in all at once, just like a tbsp or so at a time.

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 5 May 2007 , 2:22am
post #9 of 9

ombaker,

Maybe it's the angle your at which you're holding your bag. You kinda have to start at a 90 degree and with each petal addition slightly angle the back of your bag out to the side. If you have a deep angle at first it makes it harder to have the petals more upright. Also if your icing is too soft it will turn to mush. Don't know if that helped at all?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%