What Do You List On Your Resume?

Decorating By xkuuipo415x Updated 23 May 2006 , 5:55pm by xkuuipo415x

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, was hoping somebody here can help me with a dilema I am currently dealing with.

Currently, I am working in the Marketing/E-Commerce field and am looking into finding a new job. Since I have been decorating cakes for some time, I have been thinking about looking into that field. Now, because I have never actually worked at a bakery, how would I list this on my resume?

How do you guys list wedding, shower, birthday cakes on a resume if you have never worked at a bakery? I have a ton of posting I want to forward my resume to today, but want to add this info on before I send.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!
Tina

3 replies
SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 4

Is your cake decorating a side job for you or more like a hobby? If it is a side job, I would list yourself as being self employed. If it is a hobby, I know of some resume formats that have a section for hobbies and interests. I guess it depends on what you make of it. I for one can tell you that I have had bad experiences with listing in on my resume (even though it is a part time job for me). I had one interviewer comment that my 2 + years of steady buisness wasn't "real experience" icon_cry.gif

best of luck!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 4

Have you taken classes? If so list those with examples of your class projects. If not explain that although you have no formal training, you have been enthusiastically decorating as a self-taught amatuer for X years, and now you are looking to work in a formal environment and get further professional training or something like that. Attach pictures of your best work so they can see your current standard (which from your gallery is good!). Hope that helps and good luck!

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 23 May 2006 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 4

My cake decorating has been both a side job and a hobby. I love being in the kitchen baking and decorating cakes. When I don't have any cake orders, I am constantly making cakes for family members, friends or even co-workers.

I have taken all of the Wilton courses, and some advanced classes at a local shop - but have never actually worked in a bakery.

I guess I am sort of confused on how I should list it on my resume. I suppose I could put that I am "self-employed" but since I live in CA and don't have a business license I am not sure I can write that.

*ugh* so much tro think about.

Thank you both for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%