No Fail Sugar Cookies... Mine Failed

Baking By bennettsrus Updated 6 Jun 2006 , 5:36pm by jennsmith

bennettsrus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennettsrus Posted 23 May 2006 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 11

Help! I made my first batch of no fail sugar cookies so that I could make a cookie bouquet for my mom (late mother's day gift) and it went horribly wrong. icon_cry.gif

I followed the recipe correctly.
Then I took the dough out from my KA mixer and kneaded it.
As I was kneading it, it just kept falling apart and crumbling.
I let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours (wrapped in saran)

I took it out and tried to roll it out... NO LUCK... it all just kept breaking apart and crumbling.

I managed to get a couple cookies cut. Put them on the cookie sheet and baked for 8-10 minutes.

I took them out. Waited. The cookies tasted HORRIBLE and were hard as a rock!...

This was my first time. So I wasn't even sure what to look for or what I was looking for! I didn't even get a chance to ice them, that's how bad they were.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

10 replies
jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 23 May 2006 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 11

There was a thread about something similar to this a while back. They said to roll it out before chilling in the fridge. I think this is the thread

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-25159-fail.html+sugar+cookie

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 May 2006 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 11

I had the same experience as you with the crumbling and texture of the dough. I added more water and it helped some. They did taste good after I got them rolled and baked - but the hassle of getting the dough to hold together sucked. I have been baking for many years and have other recipes that work much better than this one - I just tried it because of all of the folks praising the recipe! I have read that you can roll it before chilling and then cut them, folks have luck with that way of using it. As for me, I will just go back to my old recipes.

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 23 May 2006 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 11

This cookie does have more of a shortbread taste than a traditional sugar cookie taste. I also found that if you want them to be softer they need to be underbaked a little.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 May 2006 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 11

hmmmmmmmmm.......mine is always on the sticky side.......so I do the whole roll between layers of wax paper , then pop them in the fridge......otherwise I'd probably have to add another cup or so of flour to get to them to consistency that I could roll without the wax paper.....they're always so sticky! They don't taste all that good without icing....at least I don't think so...they're not a REALLY sweet cookie on their own.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 11

I love this recipe...I followed her directions perfectly, rolled it between two sheets of silpat, cuts the shapes and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. I was then able to lift the excess off and bake my cookies. They are perfect to eat as is or you can use Antonia's icing. Love, love, love this cookie and it's going to replace my sugar cookie recipe that I have used for 20 years.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettsrus

Help! I made my first batch of no fail sugar cookies so that I could make a cookie bouquet for my mom (late mother's day gift) and it went horribly wrong. icon_cry.gif

I took it out and tried to roll it out... NO LUCK... it all just kept breaking apart and crumbling.

I managed to get a couple cookies cut. Put them on the cookie sheet and baked for 8-10 minutes.

I took them out. Waited. The cookies tasted HORRIBLE and were hard as a rock!...

This was my first time. So I wasn't even sure what to look for or what I was looking for! I didn't even get a chance to ice them, that's how bad they were.

I can't tell yow much I like the Wilton Roll Out Cookie recipe. It is SOOOO good!

After trying a few recipes, I am sticking with this one. One of the things I love about it is that I don't have to chill the dough. I can use it as soon as I mix/knead it.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

I can't tell yow much I like the Wilton Roll Out Cookie recipe. It is SOOOO good!

After trying a few recipes, I am sticking with this one. One of the things I love about it is that I don't have to chill the dough. I can use it as soon as I mix/knead it.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 May 2006 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 11

I tried this past weekend to do the same thing. I followed the instructions rolled between two pieces of parchment chilled in fridge 1-2 hours ,used cookie cutters (star shaped-for dora party) baked 8-10 minutes and they were almost tasteless, no flavor nothing exciting at all. And they were stiff. Is there a good soft recipe for chocolate chip out there?!!!

jennsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennsmith Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 11

Mine dough does the same dry crumbly thing I just work with the dough as soon as it is finished mixing and place in fridge for about 15 minutes and it does wonderful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%