What Happened!!!! Ganache Disaster! Help

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 4 May 2007 , 3:57am by trulyscrumptious

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, ganache has never ever worked for me, but this morning I was sure I had it figured out.

I melted the dark chocolate and slowly added the cream. I hardly put two T. in there and the chocolate seized up and now I have something like chocolate clay. It formed a ball and will not remelt.
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
This cake is driving me mad. I am going crazy. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 14

I usually heat the cream (not boiling but almost), take it off the heat, dump in the chocolate, wait a bit (still off the heat - never goes back on), and stir it up.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 14

Heat some cream and add it to the seized stuff and that will bring it back.
Tip: heat cream and add to chopped chocolate to make ganache
chocolate ganache1

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 14

yeah, what they said!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombaker

yeah, what they said!

Ditto!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 14

It's possible that your chocolate got too hot when melting, either that or you got some water in it somehow.

If the above suggestion doesn't work and you end up remaking it- add the heated cream to the chocolate and let set for a couple of minutes, then stir until all chocolate is melted.

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 14

your cream must be hot or your chocolate will seize... here's what I do:
1. chop chocolate up into small bits (or use chocolate chips)
2. Heat cream just to a boil
3. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit 5 minutes
4. stir until smooth and let cool
This method has NEVER failed me!

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 14

One recipe I use says to just add about 1/3 of the heated cream to the chocolate. I would defiantely heat the cream. Hope this works for you soon!

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 14

Although the cream has a lot of fat in it, it's still a water-based liquid which means that when there's only a little of it, it will cause the chocolate to seize. When there's more of it, it will mix smoothly. Also, I've always heated my cream and used it to melt my chocolate (like thecakemaven said) instead of the other way around. HTH.

angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 3 May 2007 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 14

I do what the cakemaven does and it has always worked for me. I even used less chocolate once to make it runnier.

mum1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum1205 Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 14

I make ganache by heating the cream first as well, however when chocolate seizes, you can also try to add a little crisco, and stir until it becomes smooth again...you may be able to save it!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 May 2007 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 14

Ditto to what thecakemaven said.. heat the cream.. pour over chocolate.. let sit.. stir until smooth This method has never failed me. If you add cool cream with the warm chocolate it will seize on you.. I don't know if that's what you did, but if so then that's what happened. Ganache is pretty easy once you figure it out. If my sister can do it.. so can you.. LOL. My sis is CLUELESS in the kitchen. Just remember.. hot chocolate and cold do NOT get along.

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 4 May 2007 , 12:48am
post #13 of 14

I have a TON of experience in chocolate..... just never bring it above 120 or you will have problems. Chocolate will seize with a little liquid but as someone else said...adding more will bring it back

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 4 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #14 of 14

I too agree with thecakemaven, she's completely correct! The recipe I use (Charlie Trotter's) uses this method and also has a small addition of butter to the chocolate when you pour the milk over. It has excellent flavor and never fails. I'm sure you'll have great results trying it this way!
~Truly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%