New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By Totally-Frosted Updated 10 May 2007 , 12:04am by Totally-Frosted

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:38am
post #1 of 18

Hi All,

I am VERY new to the cake decorating scene and I came across this website doing a search.

Anyway, my question is how many of you have been to cake decorating classes and if you have been to class for cake decorating, what type of classes or schools did you go to?

Thanks for all your responses!

Veronica

17 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 18

Welcome Veronica! Enjoy CC!
I had no classes unless you count one 10 years ago that I forgot. I am just winging this thing......be careful, you will eat, sleep, and talk cake... icon_eek.gif

sami7333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sami7333 Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:07am
post #3 of 18

I took a very basic class when I was younger and decorated cakes off and on for a few years. Practice is the best teacher I've found! icon_wink.gif There's nothing like learning from your own mistakes. icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif I just took 3 Wilton courses this winter to get a little better at it since I'm trying to get a bakery/cafe started. If I would've had more self-confidence I don't think I would'veneeded them. But they were fun! thumbs_up.gif

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:46am
post #4 of 18

I strongly recommend classes if you are really new - the Wilton classes were great for me, because they were casual and my Michael's keeps them very small so there was a lot of personal attention. Oh, and Mizshelly is so right...you will soon be talking, walking, thinking and dreaming of cakes!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 18

I just started cake decorating recently. I completed the Wilton course 1 last Saturday. I have already signed up for course 2 as well.

Practice, practice, practice - that is what matters. I am making practice cakes and just giving them to other people. I just need the practice. My family and friends are loving the sweet treats!

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 18

I am also new at decorating. I havent' taken any classes but plan on it when Joanne's has one that fits my schedule. I'm one that has to actually see to understand-sometimes even the basic things are hard for me to do.

I watch videos, spend too much time on this board, and practice. I've started baking mini cakes once a week and freezing them so I have a cake around any time I have spare time to practice. I've kept pictures from my first to the last couple I did. It's amazing how much you learn without even knowing it. All in all, this group has been the most helpful and willing to share their vast knowledge.

Where are you in Michigan-I'm from Chesterfield. Michaels, JoAnne's, Miles, and another cake store in St. Clair Shores all offer classes should you decide to take any.

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 18

I haven't taken any cake classes and don't really plan on it in the near future, unless I find one I can afford and is worth my while to go to at a culinary/pastry institute where I live.

I think it all depends on your artistic abilities and your experience in the arts, your confidence and your learning curve. I would rank myself high on most of these scales which is why I've chosen to self-teach for now...

But to each their own! I'm sure anyone, including myself, who took Wilton classes or any other cake decorating classes would get SOMETHING out of them!

And of course CC has become a staple in my daily life.

Good luck!

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 18

Welcome!! This is such a great web-site for information...everyone has everything you will ever need to know! As for classes I haven't taken any, but I bought the Wilton class books (there are 3 courses) and I just practiced on my own...but I am planning on getting a degree as a pastry chef, that way if someone wants some type of pastry with their cake...that way I wont get lost...and it adds to the rep. Good luck, if your worried that people might not pay a lot of money for your cake because of the higher price, all you have to do is practice, and specialize in somthing and people will fall in love with your cakes and have to have them!

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 18

Hi Veronica,

Welcome aboard. I took a class at the local community college. I enjoyed. It gave me a basis to begin my decorating. You should look into taking a class it would be lots of fun and you learn all kinds of techniques. Anyway, enjoy being a part of our cake family and eat lots of cake icon_lol.gif

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 18

You will love this site. I took a class a long time ago at a cake supply shop. The lady teaching had graduated from the CIA so she had some different ideas other than Wilton (which are great too). If you have any little supply stores like that, I would ask if they offer classes. They are usually less expensive and you can get some great insider information. Good Luck.

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 18

I am self taught. I just took a Wilton course for the first time. The information in the class was good but I felt like the pace of the class was too fast (maybe 5 minutes for each new technique). However the teacher was great and willing to answer questions any time of say up until 10 pm so that was great.

Welcome to the Cake Decorating word. Be careful this website is truly addictive, I am on it 2 to 3 times a day. There is tons of great information!!

CocoRenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoRenee Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:55am
post #12 of 18

I am also new to cake decorating I am currently taking Course 1, and have been living, breathing, and dreaming of cake since I came home from the first class (that is how I found CC, and I am already addicted to this site) . I want to be successful at this, it is such a great way to express yourself and your ideas, and it is so much fun. Everyone here is so talented, that it is almost intimidating, it is good to know I am not the only inexperienced person. I look forward to growing and learning with the knowledge, criticisim, and advise from every person here!!

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:19am
post #13 of 18

I have been decorating my cakes for last 3 ,4 years .I learned making flowers and ect from books. I thought I knew most of it but I just finished wilton classes .I learned so much more from them .I would highly recomend classes .i hope you get instructers as nice as I did.Good luck.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:23am
post #14 of 18

Ive been decorating for a few years, but only steadily as in several times a week for the past year...I'm a home baker and I just booked 2 weddings this week....will be my fourth and fifth one so far and I am loving it...

as in regards to the question, nope no classes....My mom took wiltons course one and two when I was about four years old and has decorated in bakeries and at home and just for me and my cousins over the years. I've always watched her and done a few things here and there myself. My dad was her biggest biggest fan and loved watching her "create." He died suddenly a year ago and she hasnt had the heart to do cakes since. Well, so I guess I jumped in and took over the family business and surprisingly wow it all came very naturally, and after finding this website, Ive learned even more.... and shes MY biggest fan... so ty CC and much love to all my fellow decorators in all u do.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:52am
post #15 of 18

I too am taking the Wilton classes from my local Michael's store. I love it! I like the structured practice time and the immediate feedback of the classroom environment. If I'm not doing something right, I want to know how to fix it!! Enjoy your new addiction -- cake decorating!!

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:55am
post #16 of 18

Welcome!!

I took Wilton Classes about 2 years ago and they were very helpful with the basics, but I've really learned ALOT from this website!! You're gonna love it here!

Welcome again!
Rhonda

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 6 May 2007 , 6:10am
post #17 of 18

You found a GREAT website to learn so much from! I took the Wilton classes a couple years ago, and it was great, but I have also learned so much just by reading the posts on this website and looking at the photos and asking questions when I can't find an answer. I have always enjoyed cake decorating, but I do it just for fun and want to improve. My very first job was at Baskin Robbins and they make me a cake decorator, and I have dabbled in decorating since then on and off. CC is addiciting, so enjoy!

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:04am
post #18 of 18

WOW!!! I am just so estatic that so many people responded back and gave me great encouragement and ideas about cake decorating! I have been wanting to do this for a while and I love watching the Food Network cake challenges. I could watch them all day if I could. I think that I am going to teach myself for right now and join a class at Joannes in the near future.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and help!!

Veronica

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%