Date/nut Wedding Cake Recipe

Baking By jaxcakelady Updated 3 May 2007 , 3:01am by thedessertdiva

jaxcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaxcakelady Posted 3 May 2007 , 1:56am
post #1 of 4

icon_smile.gif A friend has asked that I make a cake using a common date/nut wedding cake recipe that he says is the common choice for brides in the NJ or eastern PA area. Problem is, I can't find a date/nut wedding cake recipe anywhere icon_cry.gif ... he came up with the idea after tasting my butterscotch pecan layer cake with brown sugar buttercream icing. He said that it reminded him very much of this wedding cake he loved. Can anyone help???? icon_confused.gif

3 replies
thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #2 of 4

Would this be it or close to it? I'm sure you could adjust recipe for amount of servings needed...

Mom's Nut and Date Cake

Ingredients:
4 cups Sugar
3 cups Flour
1 1/2 cups Butter
Eggs, as needed (5-7)
1 quart Pecan halves
2 tablespoons Vanilla extract
1 quart Dates, chopped

Directions:
Prepare a large tube pan; line the bottom with brown paper and grease the pan and lining. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Cut butter and sugar together until it resembles cornmeal. Cover the pecans and dates with the flour (in large bowl); rub together so all pieces are well-floured. Dump sugar and butter on top; mix. Break in whole eggs (fewest possible) until you have the a wet mass, but not a batter. Add vanilla extract, and pour into prepared cake pan. Bake until done, 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:50am
post #3 of 4

Will you share your Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting?

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:01am
post #4 of 4

here is one that I have:

Brown Sugar Buttercream

3 large egg whites at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine egg whites and salt in a large bowl.
Stir together brown sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, washing down side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water. When sugar syrup reaches boil, start beating whites with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until frothy, then add lemon juice and beat at medium speed until whites just hold soft peaks. (Do not beat again until sugar syrup is ready.)

Meanwhile, put candy thermometer into sugar syrup and continue boiling until syrup reaches 238242°F. Immediately remove from heat and pour into a heatproof 1-cup glass measure. Slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream down side of bowl into egg whites, beating constantly at high speed. Beat meringue, scraping down bowl with a rubber spatula, until meringue is cool to the touch, about 6 minutes. (Its important that meringue is properly cooled before proceeding.)

With mixer at medium speed, gradually add butter 1 piece at a time, beating well after each addition until incorporated. (If meringue is too warm and buttercream looks soupy after some of butter is added, briefly chill bottom of bowl in a large bowl filled with ice water for a few seconds before continuing to beat in remaining butter.) Continue beating until buttercream is smooth. (Mixture may look curdled before all of butter is added, but will come back together before beating is finished.) Add vanilla and beat 1 minute more.

Buttercream can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered, or frozen 1 month. Bring to room temperature (do not use a microwave) and beat with electric mixer before using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%