Butter Cream Vs. Whipped Cream

Decorating By cindww Updated 20 May 2006 , 6:06pm by SarahJane

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 20 May 2006 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all!
My neighbor just called and asked if I'd be interested in doing her wedding cake but was only interested in whipped cream. I had to turn her down because I've never used it to decorate, only as a filling. Can someone give me an idea of what it is like to work with whipped cream as opposed to bc. Do you frost with the whipped and then accent it with BC decorations? Also, any good recipes you could pass along for a whipped cream frosting?

Thanks in advance,
Cindy

2 replies
Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 20 May 2006 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 3

You might want to look at this thread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26006-.html

On it, I posted a link to a very light, whipped buttercream, so different than the normal sugary butter/crisco crusting buttercream. It sounds like something your friend would want. It is the best buttercream I have ever tasted.

The problem with it and any whipped icing is that it is very delicate because it is inflated with a lot of air. If you plan on doing a lot of piped decorations, be very careful. Temperature plays a big role and can ruin a cake these very, very easily (running, drooping, things fallin off making a big *plop!* sound, lol.) I would suggest covering it with fondant if you want to do piping and decorating, but even that will not make a stable base for fondant, so do be careful when applying.

Dede Wilson's Cake book uses nothing but buttercreams and the Italian meringue buttercreams to boot. She decorates many simply, but yet they are beautiful with square sides and real flowers lightly placed on top or piped basket weaves up the sides with again, real flowers and/or fruit on top and such. This may be your answer for this type of cake.

I hope that helps.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 20 May 2006 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 3

Whippedcream on a wedding cake is just not a good idea. I do live in Hawaii so I might be bias, but it is just asking for trouble. I have a friend here who bought an $800 wedding cake from a well respected bakery. They used whipped cream icing (which she didn't request) and the cake started tilting and chunks of the icing started drooping and then falling off the cake. It didn't even make it to through the wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%