Chocolate Transfer Vs. Fondant???

Decorating By nikkisbc Updated 3 May 2007 , 4:26pm by MikkelPaige

nikkisbc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkisbc Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 10

hi all, i'm a newbie to the site, and to cake decorating. i'm sooo glad i found this place, i could really use some advice, suggestions, explanations, whatever ya got.

so here's the deal. hubby's been clamoring for me to make him a birthday cake this year with darth vader. since there is only three of us here it will just be a regular 8 inch 2 layer round cake. i've been reading all the posts i could find here about how to go about doing this and have found a few options. i'm planning to take an image either from the internet or a coloring book and transfer it onto wax paper but i'm unsure about whether to use fondant (that is either already black or that i color myself) or do a chocolate transfer which i've read about here. the other option is to have colored fondant over the cake for the background and do the chocolate transfer for darth vader. i kindof like this last idea best, i have a picture in my head of what it could look like this way and i really like it but since i have no experience with either of these techniques i was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions, tips, whatever you may have from your years of experience.

this cake is for my husband but it's also kindof a test project for me. i really enjoy doing these cakes and i'm toying with the idea of possibly starting a little at-home business doing this kind of thing down the road. so the more experience i get, the better. but i do want to kindof stay within the realm of possibility for someone who's only done about 8 cakes so far.

thanks all!
nikki icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 10

It sounds like you've already got a plan in mind. Go with what you are comfortable doing.

I don't know if you've worked with fondant, but it's a whole different world from buttercream. If you want to do a pattern transfer, the piping gel on waxed paper is about the easiest. The chocolate transfer method is another good alternative.

HTH

Michele

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with Michelle/SugarFlowers. Fondant's a different ball game! I encourage you to definitely try it but it's not buttercream consistancy!

I would go with what you're envisioning in your head. That's what I try to do! Maybe sketch it out first and see how it would look on paper first. And don't worry that you've only done 8 cakes before! I've only done 4!! Be confident and try new things!

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 10

You could also do a FBCT (frozen buttercreme transfer). There is a link on here how to do it. I think they are very easy to do.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with the others, since it's for Dh you should do whatever you are dying to try out. I haven't been decorating for too long, but I do know that everything takes practice, which I never wanted to hear, but really it's true. So I would always try the more extravagant techniques with family cakes, and even when I should try more simple designs with things or whatever, I just went with what I wanted to do. Things don't always turn out exactly how you envision, but I think you learn the best when you just go for it. And trust me, everyone will be so impressed no matter what you decide to try! Please post pics of the finished cake..I can't wait to see it! Good luck..you can do it!!

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 10

Just go for whatever technique you'd like to try. My instructor says "It's icing...it's forgiving." besides some of the neatest things I've learned have come from "mistakes".

nikkisbc Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 10

yeah, i would really like to try fondant just because i haven't used it yet and i looove the look that it gives cakes. that's why i was thinking i would drape the cake with fondant in the background color and to a chocolate/buttercream transfer for the darth vader image in the center. that way i get to toy with fondant a bit and still use the transfer method i'm familiar with.

but i will be completely out of my league with the fondant. i've been looking online for information about it and apparently i can get it in white and color it myself (i think with gel paste right?) or i've also seen colored fondant. is it difficult to color fondant yourself? would it be better to just buy the colored fondant?

MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 10

I personally make the Marshmellow Fondant (MMF) from a recipe on this site (just search the recipes and use the one that's MMF with 5 stars). It's simple - powedered sugar, melted marshmellows, water and vanilla. But, as suggested on CC and I agree, don't add ALL the powdered sugar it calls for! Add little bits at a time until it feels like "play dough" consistancy. I add the coloring into the melted marshmellows. I've found it's too difficult to add it after the fondant "dough" is made, but that's just my preference. I haven't bought fondant yet b/c it's cheaper to make it myself!

Be patient though - it's taken me 4 times to get it right! I was so so so excited last night when it finally took me less than an hour to make! But again, everyone's experience is different. Some people can make it in 30 minutes every time, no problems.

nikkisbc Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 10

thanks for the info, sounds almost simple enough to try myself.

the reason i was looking more at buying the fondant was because one of the recipes i've seen specifically called for a marble/formica counter to roll it on, which i don't have. i'd just be doing it on my apartment kitchen counter and was afraid i'd mess it up if i tried it myself. but i'll check out the marshmallow one. if it's less finicky than the one i've seen maybe i'll try it myself.

MikkelPaige Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 10

I got a tip from the forum on "Wanna Know a Secret???" with tips, tricks and helpful hints people use - VINYL works GREAT as a countertop covering for rolling out fondant! Just go to a fabric store, buy some, lay it out on your countertop and roll away! I still sprinkly some cornstarch on the vinyl just in case but it works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%