My Cake Sold For 25 Bucks!!!

Decorating By TheKookieWench Updated 11 May 2007 , 12:29am by msthang1224

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:31am
post #1 of 17

Okay, for those who might have read in an earlier post of mine, I made a four-layer coconut cake (was supposed to have lime curd filling but didn't get around to making it) slathered in smbc for a fund raiser a girl on my block was having. I was a nervous nellie taking my cake into the restaurant because it's super swanky and everyone was dressed so nice, while I was schlepping about in my bright blue capris, tank top and flip flops. Not to mention that since they are in the food business, I've been secretly wanting to impress them with my beginning baking skills. My cake was a hit the moment I stepped through the door and removed the cake dome! Everyone there was fawning over it like I had just sculpted a masterpiece. The girl's father had asked me if it was a coconut cream cake and I told him that it was just a basic vanilla cake filled with coconut and smbc and he seemed genuinely impressed. Colored me even more surprised when they slapped a $25 price tag on it and it sold icon_eek.gif !! First off, I wouldn't have even thought of placing a price that high on such a basic cake....there were no fancy designs on it. Just cake draped in coconut. His wife also told me that it looked like I had a future in cake baking. I think I was floating on cloud 9 when I waltzed out of there. Now I wish I would have known that mom had bought batteries for the camera so I could have taken a picture icon_sad.gif Needless to say, though, that has inspired me to keep trucking along and take my skills to another level.

16 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:03am
post #2 of 17

Great job! Congrats!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 May 2007 , 7:03am
post #3 of 17

Congrats on your success. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

The first cake is always the hardest. (IMHO)

You Go Girl!!!!!

And let the good times roll. icon_lol.gif

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 17

Congratulations!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 17

What a nice feeling that must be! Well done!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 May 2007 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 17

That is so great!! Congrats!

TheKookieWench Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #7 of 17

Thanks a bunch. I really feel that I'm starting to come into my own with this cake stuff. I know it frustrates my family and friends when I constantly think that my cakes aren't all that great (even though they are clamoring for more) and for them to think that it was worth selling at $25 just blew me away and has me thinking that maybe I'm not so bad. Then again, I'm waaaaaaaaaay harder on myself than anyone else. While everyone else is ooohing and aahhing over how good it looks and tastes, I'm nitpicking over little silly things that they could careless about, lol.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #8 of 17

As everyone always says, we are our own worst critics!!!! I'm sure you are doing a great job! Congrats!!
~Heidi

Aimeestrange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeestrange Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:17am
post #9 of 17

Woohoo! Congrats! thumbs_up.gif

Donna8306 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donna8306 Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:21am
post #10 of 17

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone. I am very new here.....in fact this is my first post.

The first cake is the hardest and its even harder when you take it out in the public eye icon_eek.gif You are so worried that everyone is going to hate it but as you said we are always harder on ourselves. Been there and done that. Hang in there because it only gets easier the more you do it.

Great job and keep putting out those cakes thumbs_up.gif

[link=http://www.3fatchicks.net/index11.php] [image noborder]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar070/bear01/lb/0/169/64/.png[/image] [/link]

Donna8306 Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:23am
post #11 of 17

and if anyone has a clue as to why my 3fatchicks didnt show up like it was suppose to...please tell me what I am doing wrong*L*

thanks

TheKookieWench Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:33am
post #12 of 17

Welcome to CC Donna!! I will warn you, this is a very addictive site but a wonderful wealth of information. I've learned tons here just reading through the different topics. And oh my gosh you are so right about taking it out in public for the first time. I mean, I've taken my baked goods out in public before but I guess what kicked in the nervousness is knowing that this a very influential family around here and knowing the type of people that were going to be there. I'm very glad though that my cake was talk of the bake sale and that people were going gah-gah over it. Talk about a confidence booster!

Donna8306 Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:38am
post #13 of 17

I had my first shocker last year when a co-worker asked me to make an anniversary cake for her in-laws. It was a small cake but very elegant. I was totally shocked when she paid me $150 for it. I kept telling her that was to much because in my mind it didnt take very long and I enjoyed it. She insisted, I took it and since have taken another look at how I have charged for my cakes in the past. Live and learn*LOL*

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:41am
post #14 of 17

CONGRATS, KEEP ON BAKING AND WOOOHOOOING PEOPLE!!

WELCOME DONNA!!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 3 May 2007 , 5:51am
post #15 of 17

Yippee! It is so exciting to have people reaffirm your talent. Especially when the admiration has $$$$$ written all over it! LOL!!!! Ha! Seriously though, when we get praise (even without getting $$$$ for it!), it is awesome! I am so happy for you! That very moment will keep you going for years to come!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna8306 Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:37am
post #16 of 17

I HATE FONDANT icon_cry.gif
Does anyone have any good tips on making using that stuff easier icon_confused.gif
*LOL* just cant seem to get the hang of it.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:29am
post #17 of 17

I hate it too and some others feel the same. I've used MMF since my first failed taste test with fondant, it's so much better than that stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%