Cupcake Bouquet Idea - Opinions Please!

Decorating By cambo Updated 11 May 2014 , 4:07pm by atcooper24

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:50am
post #391 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deana

these are actually full size cupcakes! I couldn't believe how many actually fit. I think my stryofoam is sitting up too high - giving me way too much space to fill. =) Customer was very happy!

I think if I smoosh the ball down more, I'll be able to rest the cupcake on the lip of the pot to give it a little more stability. They stay put as long as they are sitting on my counter.. . it's when I go to deliver them that they topple off...

It's all a learning process, right?

Deana, that's absolutely stunning! I'm sure the customer was sooooo thrilled! If you want a really full bouquet (like yours), leave the styro ball in one piece, if not, cut it in half and it will sit much lower! Personally, I LOVE the full look!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:14pm
post #392 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakaty

Question about mini-cupcakes. Are there liners for the mini-cupcakes? I haven't seen them before so am not sure if they need liners too. Mind you I'd have to find a mini-cupcake pan to bake them in too......

Thanks

Mini liners are sold right in the regular grocery store with all the other cupcake liners.

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:20pm
post #393 of 454

angelwaggoner and deana-your bouquets are faboulous. I didn't have good success with mine because the kept falling off. I will have to use deana's gluing technique and give it another try.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:53am
post #394 of 454

deana,
how do you glue them with the royal icing? Do you glue them to the styrofoam with the royal or do you glue them on the toothpick? They are beautiful!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #395 of 454

Finding supplies to make these is a nightmare! I went to Dollar tree and got glass vases and I will fill these to look like they are filled with water using the white styro ball and pearlized shredded plastic... All this is good except, when I went to wal-mart, I just COULDN'T spend $1.25 for a ball of styrofoam. that is SOOO ridiculously overpriced. the green 1/2 ones were .97, but I don't want gree because it will show through the glass. Then I went to THREE stores and I cannot find green shredded paper or green ANYTHING to use.. I wanted to use green paper for the cupcake liners too and no such luck so far. Tomorrow I go to AC Moore and as a last resort my local bake supply shop. I'm making ten of these for a fund raiser, so every penny I spend of my own, is truly money lost for me!!!

I just wish we would have had this fundraiser BEFORE Mother's Day and Teacher Appreciation week... but I figure, these will be good gifts for all occasions, right?

melissa

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #396 of 454

I wish I could find balls for 1.47... the cheapest I've found so far is 2.98 for a 6 "... I paid 12.99 for the 8" (minus 40% at AC Moore)

I cover the styrofoam with green celephane - then put a swirl of RI on the bottom of the cupcake, plop it on the ball and then use a toothpick to secure it a little better. I wait until the RI has had time to dry a bit, then ice with BC.

I'm having a blast with them!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:24am
post #397 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deana

I wish I could find balls for 1.47... the cheapest I've found so far is 2.98 for a 6 "... I paid 12.99 for the 8" (minus 40% at AC Moore)

I cover the styrofoam with green celephane - then put a swirl of RI on the bottom of the cupcake, plop it on the ball and then use a toothpick to secure it a little better. I wait until the RI has had time to dry a bit, then ice with BC.

I'm having a blast with them!!

yep, the 6" are quite a bit more... makes you wonder why styrofoam cups are so cheap then, right? makes me wonder what else I could use to make it cheaper!

I might go back to get the ones from wal-mart, but I figure I'll try AC Moore first, but your quoted price isn't inspiring me!

melissa

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:26am
post #398 of 454

I just came across these 1/2 balls for 4 inch pots that you can buy in bulk...
They come to about .20 each.

http://www.99centwholesale.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=179

Hope this is helpful

Lueet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lueet Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:58am
post #399 of 454

At my Walmart today, they had 2-packs of 4" white balls in a clearance bin for $1.50 (.75 per ball) - woo hoo! I snagged 6 packs even though I only have immediate plans for 3 bouquets. I had already bought some at Hobby Lobby for $2.47 for a 2-pack, which I'll return. I agree, I can't believe styrofoam is so expensive!

I'll be making my bouquets this weekend, can't wait to see how they turn out...

brooke208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooke208 Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:57pm
post #400 of 454

I have an order for 2 cupcake bouquets. The only thing is that she will be traveling about 4-5 hours with them. Does anyone have any suggestions on the I should package them for a long trip?

cambo Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:08pm
post #401 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke208

I have an order for 2 cupcake bouquets. The only thing is that she will be traveling about 4-5 hours with them. Does anyone have any suggestions on the I should package them for a long trip?

How large are they....how many cupcakes? Given it's such a long trip, you could send them with her as a "kit"....and package the cc's in their own cupcake containers (those clear plastic things that are designed for cucpakes). You could already have a "starter" hole made in the bottom of each cupcake, and you could hot glue the foam into the container, so all she'd have to do is assemble them when she gets to her destination! You could show her how to do a couple when she picks them up, then package them back up! That's what I would do!

If she's not open to that, I would hot glue the pot/container to a nicely covered cake circle or board and make that part of the display. You could choose a box the same dimension as the cake board and therefore it wouldn't move around inside. You could go to a Uhaul or UPS store and get boxes from them! I did this and it worked great! I covered the board with beautiful rose colored foil and it looked really nice!

cookie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie22 Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:43pm
post #402 of 454

I wanted to make a cupcake bouquet as a house warming gift but need some suggestions. I have all kinds of ideas for other occasion- such as the baby shower bouquet i'm making with blue icing and baby bottle tops...But I'm drawing a blank for the house warming...Any ideas would be greatly appriciated..TIA

brooke208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooke208 Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:32pm
post #403 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

Quote:

How large are they....how many cupcakes? Given it's such a long trip, you could send them with her as a "kit"....and package the cc's in their own cupcake containers (those clear plastic things that are designed for cucpakes). You could already have a "starter" hole made in the bottom of each cupcake, and you could hot glue the foam into the container, so all she'd have to do is assemble them when she gets to her destination! You could show her how to do a couple when she picks them up, then package them back up! That's what I would do!

If she's not open to that, I would hot glue the pot/container to a nicely covered cake circle or board and make that part of the display. You could choose a box the same dimension as the cake board and therefore it wouldn't move around inside. You could go to a Uhaul or UPS store and get boxes from them! I did this and it worked great! I covered the board with beautiful rose colored foil and it looked really nice!

They will probably be a 7 count in a 4" pot. I like the idea of her putting it together. I would hate for me to and it not make the trip. But if she does not want to I will use your other suggestion. Thanks for your help!

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:47pm
post #404 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie22

I wanted to make a cupcake bouquet as a house warming gift but need some suggestions. I have all kinds of ideas for other occasion- such as the baby shower bouquet i'm making with blue icing and baby bottle tops...But I'm drawing a blank for the house warming...Any ideas would be greatly appriciated..TIA

How about wine bottle and glasses mixed with plants/flowers or grapes on a vine? Or you could go more humorous and put tools on each cupcake - since a homeowner has just begun to fix/changes things. Let us know what you do.

I'm going to do one for a new baby boy. I haven't decided if Iam going for cute and sweet or humorous and disgusting (my DH and teh mom are constantly playing gross gags on each other at work)

cookie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie22 Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:29pm
post #405 of 454

Thanks for the tips alittlesliceofheaven i love the idea of the tools.. I will post whatever i end up creating icon_smile.gif.. I look forward to seeing your baby boy bouquet i'll be doing mine next week..

reesesob Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #406 of 454

here's a link to a cool video for other flower options for the bouquets from a thread 2Yummy started.

http://www.ciachef.edu/admissi.....=Home+Page

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:49pm
post #407 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

Quote:

I would also put a piece of shelf liner under the cake circle/board and under the box so it doesn't move if she brakes hard. You also may want to make sure that the pot is heavy enough or has rocks/gravel inside so it's not tippy. Remind her to keep it in the car with her and not place in trunk as it gets too hot and the icing will fall off. Sadly I learned that from experience. thumbsdown.gif

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:46pm
post #408 of 454
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.99centwholesale.com.....ProdID=179

I was looking at this site and there are some cheap containers on there I wonder if they would work for the cc bouquet.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:20am
post #409 of 454
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.99centwholesale.com.....ProdID=179

I was looking at this site and there are some cheap containers on there I wonder if they would work for the cc bouquet.

reesesob Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:38am
post #410 of 454
Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #411 of 454

Here is my first attempt at the bouquets. I had to use two toothpicks on the bottom row of cc as well. One in the center of the cupcake, placed it in the styrofoam, then one above to stabilize it. I didn't have any paper shred, but you get the idea. I love these! Easy, yet look so elegant.

Question...I typically use Buttercream Dream, but I don't feel like it crusted as well. What specific bc recipe do you use? Could you post the link? Also, could you post a link to your cupcake recipe?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_554183.html

Why can't I figure out a way to post the actual picture?!?!

[img]http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_554183.html
[/img]

cambo Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:33pm
post #412 of 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherly30

Here is my first attempt at the bouquets. I had to use two toothpicks on the bottom row of cc as well. One in the center of the cupcake, placed it in the styrofoam, then one above to stabilize it. I didn't have any paper shred, but you get the idea. I love these! Easy, yet look so elegant.

Question...I typically use Buttercream Dream, but I don't feel like it crusted as well. What specific bc recipe do you use? Could you post the link? Also, could you post a link to your cupcake recipe?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_554183.html

Why can't I figure out a way to post the actual picture?!?!

[img]http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_554183.html
[/img]

Great job! I use a crusting buttercream, 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter! Works great!

jss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jss Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #413 of 454

cambo...

would you post your crusting buttercream recipe...
or where can i find it ...

hoping to make a bouquet soon!

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:09pm
post #414 of 454

Cambo, is your bc recipe similar to BC Dream? It calls for 1 cup Crisco, 2 sticks of butter. Pretty sure that's half and half.

I have had one cc fall out of the holder. I need to go to Hobby Lobby and buy the bigger toothpicks that you pictured.

What do you all doctor your cc recipe with?

cambo Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:32pm
post #415 of 454

UPDATE: I just posted this picture in the gallery, but these are my "stab" at boxes for the bouquets! I ordered the 9x9x9 cubes from papermart.com, but they came with no window, so I used my scrapbooking circle cutter to make an 8" hole, then used 2-sided sticky tape to affix a sheet of clear acetate behind it to make my own window! I hope to eventually have them mass-produced in the exact dimensions I need! So far they are relatively inexpensive to make....w/ shipping the boxes are about $1 each and the acetate was free becuase my MIL has TONS of it from an earlier project. They take about 5 minutes each to make! I wanted to add a beautiful fabric ribbon tied around the box with bow on top or to the side, but my hubby said that would add WAY too much cost to my bottomline, only to be thrown away. I agree, but BOY would that jazz them up!

Also, on the inside: I "tacked" the containers to an 8" round cakeboard (could use square also, I guess), with two small dots of hot glue. That makes the board become part of the product, but they're covered with pretty foil....and this helps prevent tipping during transport/delivery!
LL

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:42pm
post #416 of 454

Cammie,
Those look great!! I love how you have them package. When I gave a few out at Mother's day I also attached them to circle cakeboards but with glue dots from the crafting department. Those worked well too.

Anyway I just wanted to tell you that the boxes make the bouquets look that much nicer!!

WTG,
Amanda

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:52pm
post #417 of 454

Cambo, they are beautiful and the packaging makes them even more special!

alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #418 of 454

Cambo....those are absolutely stunning!!!! I have an idea for your ribbon....at my local Joann's (even the couple close to me when I lived in Ohio) they would have "bulk bags" of ribbon for a dollar or two. You got about 15 different ribbons, each a yard a piece. You don't get to pick what you want exactly, but they always have a great assortment in each bag of different colors and widths of ribbon. I buy them for different projects and for my DD's hair icon_smile.gif

eatsleepdreamcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatsleepdreamcake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:06pm
post #419 of 454

Cambo, these look so fabulous! I've been following this cupcake bouquet thread and have made a few myself but have struggled with how to package them. I think these look very attractive and professional! Can I ask you a few questions? Are the cardboard circles just one layer? What kind of foil did you use to cover them? Did you set the bouquets down inside the box, or is the opening in the back? How many cupcakes do they have? The most I have been able to get on a 4" round ball is 10. Finally, can I ask how much you charge for each bouquet? I hope you don't mind me loading so many questions on you! I'm really quite taken with these cupcake bouquets and appreciate all the ideas you've shared. Thanks!

cambo Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #420 of 454

eatsleepdreamcake - I'm more than happy to answer your questions! I'm flattered you're asking!

1) I covered a 1-layer 8" round cakeboard with fancy foil (got it at my local cake decorating supply store). You could cover them with anything really....some really nice gift wrap (covered with clear contact paper) would be gorgeous and you could really make it compliment the cupcakes nicely!

2) The boxes come with a insert/tab closure that is meant to be on top. I simply turned it on it's side so the top/lid becomes the right side of the box and the bottom becomes the left side! This way the lid becomes a "door" for them to open and pull the bouquet out!

3) A 12-cupcake bouquet is my "standard" bouquet and they are placed on a 4" styrofoam ball. You gotta pack em' in!

4) I charge $25 for each 12-cupcake bouquet! I felt guilty at first because my costs are so low....buy hey, this is a business!

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have! I'm happy to share!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%