I Am Now Officially A Wilton Instructor Woohoo!

Business By Euphoriabakery Updated 12 Jun 2006 , 2:44am by TexasSugar

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 22

Well after debating offering a cake decorating course at my local park and rec center I was finally contacted by Wilton to teach a couple towns over! I am so excited, it was going to be so much work to come up with a lesson plan and everything on my own. Now Wilton does all that for me and there are so many perks. like discounts and stuff.

I am really excited, can you tell?! I start teaching my first class on June 10th, but have already done one in store demo and replaced their store displays!

21 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 22

Wow, congratulations! I look forward to hearing about your experiences!

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 22

Congratulations!! Sounds like fun.

MsFarmFresh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsFarmFresh Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 22

Welcome aboard the instructor train. I have been an instructor for 1 year and it has been loads of fun. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 22

That's great, Congratulations!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 22

Congratulations!! What a great opportunity. I've often thought about it, but I need more practice myself first. I've always enjoyed teaching. Before kids, I developed and implemented training for the company I worked for. Maybe someday I can carry that experience over to teaching cake decorating.

How exciting for you. Have FUN!!!!!!

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 22

Congratulations!!! How nice to get paid for doing something you love! I hope to do that a few years down the road.

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 19 May 2006 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 22

Congratulations!!! That would be so fun to teach something you love to do!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks everyone! I am really excited! I already havea course 1 with 8 students signed up and a course 2 with 2-3 students!

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 22

how exciting!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 22

Congratulations!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 22

Congrats and good luck!!!!

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 20 May 2006 , 1:28am
post #13 of 22

BEST WISHES & SWEET SUCCESS!!!!!

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 20 May 2006 , 1:33am
post #14 of 22

Good Luck with your first class. I am in my first month as well and I have to say, I am having a blast. I hope you do too. icon_smile.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 20 May 2006 , 12:20pm
post #15 of 22

how exciting Euphoria! good for you - a big congrats!

Hula_girl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hula_girl3 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:53am
post #16 of 22

How does all of this work, if you dont mind me asking. do you just get the discount or is that a perk on top of pay? What kind of pay is it?

I'm switching jobs and thinking I'd maybe check this out to make some extra money ontop of the bakery I'm about to start working in.
Although I dont know to much about Wilton methods I'm sure its not to much different then what I know already.

georgiamom_06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom_06 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 22

I was going to take a wilton class at Michaels in Augusta but it started earlier this month and I missed it by a few days. They offer the I,II,III classes. I don't know how much the class & supplies run though. They were running a special 1/2 off the 2nd class when you registered for the first class; so, I guess the classes are around 25.00 - not including supplies. Hopefully they will offer them again when this class is over next month or atleast in aug.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:12am
post #18 of 22

Classes are usually $25, and you have to buy the kit, which includes basically what you need for the class, although you will pick up other stuff, believe me! LOL

Usually, there will be some sort of special like half price class, or half price kit, or buy the class, get the kit free, buy the kit get the class free, whatever. Basically, these stores want you in their classes, learning to love cake decorating, so you will buy the cake decorating stuff they sell! LOL It works ....... winks ..........

The classes are so worth it! They are fun, and we do get hooked! I have taken one or two of the classes twice! Missed a few things the first time, and I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to learning something new.

To be an instructor is getting to be more work these days, isn't it? Here in TN, you have to take all three courses (and I believe that is standard everywhere) and be pretty proficient on most of the techniques, particularly roses and oh heck, I've forgotten the word, but edges.... I don't know what the pay is, as I haven't dedicated myself to becoming an instructor. Inquired once, and that's about it.

Congratulations, girl, I'll bet you are going to have a lot of fun~!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:16am
post #19 of 22

Congrats! Welcome the wonderful world of WMI's! I'm sure you will enjoy every minute like I do!

Aries-04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aries-04 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:18am
post #20 of 22

Congratulation and best wishes!!!

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:36am
post #21 of 22

Congratulations! Your cakes are beautiful. I'm sure you'll be an excellent instructor for Wilton! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:44am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula_girl3

How does all of this work, if you dont mind me asking. do you just get the discount or is that a perk on top of pay? What kind of pay is it?

I'm switching jobs and thinking I'd maybe check this out to make some extra money ontop of the bakery I'm about to start working in.
Although I dont know to much about Wilton methods I'm sure its not to much different then what I know already.

Since you would be teaching Wilton Methods, my best advice is to take the courses, even though you do know how to do cake decorating. It will let you see what all the classes involve and what you would be teaching.

After you take the classes you go to Wilton.com and fill out an app. Then you want and see. icon_smile.gif

You get paid by the number of students, but this pay does very from account to account, so it does depend on what store you teach at. At Michaels you make $120 a month on a small course and it goes up from there. You are required to offer an Course 1 every month as well as a Course 2 and/or Course 3. Michaels treats you as a store employee so you also get the store discount of 25% off anything you buy that is not on sale. At some stores you are an independent contractor. Wilton gives you 40% off anything you order from them.

Plus note that teaching the classes is not a huge money maker. It is good extra money, but you can't always count on it to pay the bills, since you do not know from month to month how much you will make. You could have a month of all three courses, and then you could have a month with only one, or even none.

You also have to supply your own things, so when you factor that in, you aren't making the full $120. On the first night of course 1 you bring a cake, and make the icing for the students to see. In course 2 you are suppose to make royal icing. And in course 3 you will use fondant.

Also at Michaels you are required to do 5 Class Previews a year, on specific dates. The pay is good for the period of time, but you do make and bring cakes, cupcakes or cookies and icing to promote your classes.

I love teaching the classes, but teaching them is not going to make anyone rich, or even close. icon_smile.gif It is one of those jobs you can't do just for the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%