Je,je,je Mi First Jello O Gelatin Cake (Geletina Decorada)

Decorating By Claudine1976 Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm by adven68

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 19

This is a Gelatin cake, is a very popular latinamerican desert for birthday parties to go along with the cake, this is my first try, it a lot of fun.

Esta es mi gelatina decorada, es un postre latinoamericano muy popular para las fiestas de cumpleaños para acompañar la torta, es la primera vez que lo pruebo, fue muy divertido.

Claudia
LL

18 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 19

Please, what is a gelatin cake?I'm very curious, as I've never heard of them. Is it like a 'poke cake', where you bake a cake and pour jello down through holes you 'poke' in it? If so, is the decorated top made of a frozen buttercream transfer in a layer of Jello? I REALLY like the looks of this cake! Can you tell? LOL!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 19

Now, I would also like to know what a gelatin cake is and how to do this. I Love the look. Is this something one can learn from the gelatin books by the woman in Mexico? Sorry, I forgot her name.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 May 2006 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 19

That is SO darling - I just love Hello Kitty.

Great job, looks like it must have been a very time consuming project!!!

Claudine1976 Posted 19 May 2006 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 19

Hi! Im glad you all like the gelatin cake, Its really easy to do, Im not an expert, this is my first try at this, but I really enjoyed making it. This one is called 3d decorates gelatin, here are the steps I took: and later on today I will post the recipes.

1.  Make a slab of gelatin, about 1 centimeter deep and put it in the fridge for 24 hr, uncovered
2.  Take the image that you want to transfer and draw the outlines in a piece of paper using graffiti pen, take the piece of paper and put it facing the gelatin an press down gently to transfer the image
3.  Using a xacto knife cut the image and place in a clean plate
4.  Thin down the food coloring with vodka and star painting
5.  Place in the fridge for about 1 hour
6.  Take the mold (cake tins are ok, just need to be in mint condition and no dents or scratches)
7.  brush the inside with a egg white and place in the fridge for about 1 hr prior to assemble the cake
8.  Put a thin coat of transparent gelatin
9.  place the images facing down
10.  put a coat of transparent gelatin again
11.  a coat of milk gelatin
12.  color gelatin
13.  milk gelatin
14.  color gelatin
15.  milk gelatin
16.  Place on the fridge for about 18 to 24 hr before taking it out of the mold

Im super bad explaining things, especially Im English, but hope you get the idea, later on today or tomorrow I will port the recipes of the different kinds of gelatins
Claudia

fearlessbaker Posted 19 May 2006 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 19

Claudia, Then do you take what you have made and transfer it on to a cake? I am going to ask my daughter-in-law about this as she is Latina. Her mom probably has heard about this if she hasn't. Where did you learn to do this?

Claudine1976 Posted 19 May 2006 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 19

No, you place the painted figures and place it facing down on the step 9. Ilearned thru Venezuelan magazines and other material, but this is very popular in my country.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 May 2006 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 19

¡Esta torta es maravillosa! Gracias por compartir esta con nosotros. La próxima vez que eso usted hace esta, usted por favor tomaría las fotos y me las enviaría en mi E-mail privado, [email protected]

Muchisimas Gracias --

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 19 May 2006 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 19

So...this is just layers of different colored and different flavored gelatin? No cake involved, really? It's very pretty.

Thanks for sharing.

fearlessbaker Posted 19 May 2006 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 19

What happened to Clay. did you just finish watching Wizrd of Oz or something?

7yyrt Posted 22 May 2006 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 19

All right, I understand the lower layers of the 'cake'. They are like the rainbow Jello molds over at egullet. YES!
I'm still working on understanding the 3d decoration part, but it's beginning to make sense.
Thank you for taking the time to explain something that is SO NEAT!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 22 May 2006 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 19

First of all your cake is beautiful and then thanks for this detail info.

This whole thing is very new for me.

Thanks again.
Nitu

7yyrt Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:47am
post #13 of 19

Okay, I've been looking at gelatina cakes all over the net...I see 2 ways to do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
One way is to draw the design on rice paper(?) using edible gels, trim around it, then place it in the mold at step #2. If so, then there is a layer of rice paper inside the cake with the design on it, is that right?
The other way I see is to transfer the outline with the paper, REMOVE the paper, fill in the outline with the gel colors, cut out the 'painted' jello, and use THAT. I think this is makes more sense, and is the way YOU did it. Am I close?

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:39am
post #14 of 19

hi claudine
let me say thats it nice to know that someone from the univision foro member is here and that u can write english as for me im also a member from the foro ....i can read and speak the spanish language but i cant write it so that is why i mentioned it
claudine your work is great ...its neat my first time i had my colors all running out of the lines.... but u for the first WOW
great work

flowergel

marina34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marina34 Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:20am
post #15 of 19

Thank you so much for posting the instructions! I can't wait to try it!

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mala Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 19

SO AMAZINGG!!! I would love to try this too....

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:02pm
post #17 of 19

Your instructions were perfect...thank you for taking the time to write them. I have seen other gelatinas where syringes were used for 3-d flowers. Did you ever try that method?

Beautiful cake...

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:14pm
post #18 of 19

Wow this type of decorating amazes me. You did an excellent job!!! Also, thank you for the instructions on how to make this...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm
post #19 of 19

I have a question....what is a graffiti pen? Is that edible ink? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%