Do You Ever Get The Feeling That People Think You Are Nuts?

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 19 May 2006 , 9:33am by darandon

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 30

Hello to all-
I went to the store last night and got the feeling that the people around me thought I was crazy. I don't know why I only had about 15 boxes of cake mix, several dozen eggs, powderd sugar about 10 bags, and 5 crisco premeasured sticks. lol I think if I saw someone with all that in their cart I would think 2 things wow is she about to go a binge diets of nothing but sugar, Or wow look at that lady she is nuts! Does this ever happen to anyone else? thumbs_up.gif

29 replies
Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 30

Yes - espl when they are like stocking shelves, right, and they move for you to get your box, but you keep coming back to get more, and they have to wait for you to grab your 10 boxes of devils food and 10 boxes of french vanilla!

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 30

The other day I bought all of the confectionary sugar off the shelf. Then I went back to get something else the next day and it was still empty. I hope noone needed confectionary sugar!

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 30

Yep. Especially when I have diet soda, water, and healthy food in my cart - and then lots of cake mix boxes, powedered sugar, chocolate chips of various kinds, etc. I'm sure they think I'm a big weirdo. icon_razz.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 30

Oh yes, but I couldn't care less what they think. Since they are not paying for whatever it is I'm buying...so tough ! One time a clerk at the check out asked me: "wow, you must be making a lot of cakes " ! I responded, "and you're point would be ?" icon_biggrin.gif

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 30

Haha! I bake from scratch, so I usually end up with boxes and boxes of cake flour, bags of sugar, cans of evaporated milk, loads of eggs and butter and shortening and powdered sugar... then when I get to the checkout they look at me like I'm crazy, then ask if I'm doing some baking - I just give them a funny look and say: "No, why?"

icon_lol.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 30

I had a similar experience.

I was at Walmart and was buying like 15 boxes of cake mix, about 6-7 bags of powdered sugar, 6 dozen eggs, cupcake liners, and other assorted baking items and the cashier looked at me and said, "Doing a little baking?" I felt like Bill Engvall. . . "Here's your sign!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 30

This is funny, I am cracking up over here, because the same thing has happened to me at Marc's

I was waiting for a lady who was of course standing right in front of the cake mixes I needed reading ever box she picked up. After she realized I was waiting on her to move she stepped to the side thinking I was just going to grab a few and leave.

Well I had news for her, I moved my cart up and started to load it up like I was on the Shop Til you Drop show. She was looking at me like I was a nut case.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 30

OMG TOO FUNNY! I just did that last nite. Looks great with all the frozen diet meals and baby food! I am cracking up! I was thinking .....god this check out guy must be really thinking strange things!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 30

the only comment I have got so far was from a gentleman behind me in line, (I had six dozen eggs) who said, "Lady you need to buy some chickens!!"

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by okred

the only comment I have got so far was from a gentleman behind me in line, (I had six dozen eggs) who said, "Lady you need to buy some chickens!!"

I was told I need to buy stock in Betty Crocker and C & H!!

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 30

A while back I worked at a bakery and we ran out of eggs so I went to the store to get more. It was a fairly large bakery and so I pretty much bought all the eggs on the shelf. As I was trying to roll two very full carts to the checkout line people kept stopping me with very concerned looks and asking if something was wrong with the eggs. They thought I worked at the store and was pulling them off the shelf!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 18 May 2006 , 7:20pm
post #13 of 30

Thanks guys nice to know I am not alone too funny on the egg thing icon_biggrin.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 18 May 2006 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 30

Yep, mee too! But I always carry my business cards with me & pull them out when they ask what I am gonna make!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 18 May 2006 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 30

Hey candyladyhelen, what a brilliant idea to use this as an opportunity to get new clients. I don't undedrstand the reason behind a snippy answer as I enjoy interacting with my fellow shoppers and checkers when the opportunity arises. Edencakes your "No, why?" is hysterical!!!!!!!

Shalom,
itsacake

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 18 May 2006 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 30

You guys are so funny!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I agree this is a great opportunity to get potential customers!! I usually give my card to the cashier at Wal-Mart anyways.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 May 2006 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 30

I felt like everyone was staring at me when I cleared out the shelf at a local grocery. They had mixes on sale for 88 cents and I had a couple coupons - ones that gave me free eggs, with purchase and some other things like that. I ended up with about 15 boxes of mix and a ton of eggs. The neighbors were happy with getting samples as I am still doing a lot of practicing.

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 7:58pm
post #18 of 30

eden cakes and pretty cake...you just made my day...gals you are hysterical.

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:09pm
post #19 of 30

this is too funny!

I did get me some chickens. But the poor things can't keep up with me on the cakes or our family of eight.

Now I need a cane sugar field in the back yard and stock in Betty Crocker and I would be set!

BakerBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBea Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 30

okred...ROTFLMAO..YOU ARE TOO FUNNY

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 30

OMIGOSH. These are funny and so relateable.

Albertson's has their marshmallows on sale 2 for a Dollar. Everytime I go in there I buy 8 bags. I use tons of it for my MMF.

Last time the bagger asked if I was making a lot of hot chocolate. I just laughed. That was an original question - from all the obvious 'do you bake' or 'you must bake a lot.'

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:24pm
post #22 of 30

We live in the country, had chickens and got rid of them.
Don't need to tell you why just let me say that the kids learned not to wear their shoes in the house because of those fowl birds. icon_lol.gif

I buy mine at the store now.
And buy my cake mixes by the box. But since I'm shopping for such a large family they don't seem to stand out too much in my cart.

mommachris

okred Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:32pm
post #23 of 30

Had chickens once, can't imagine how that would save money, eggs are really very cheap, compared to feed the chickens, water the chickens, put the chickens in the building so they don't get eaten by chicken villians.

okred Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 30

can 'ROTFLMAO' be explained or would it be cencored?

CC has taught this old lady so much, just wanted to look at pretty wedding cakes, now I am uploading pictures (didn't even know how to use a digital camera) or upload a file, learned all these acronyms, and know I spend all my spare time on this sight. Such an addiction!!!!!!

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:53pm
post #25 of 30

Rolling on the floor laugh my *** off.

okred Posted 18 May 2006 , 8:54pm
post #26 of 30

got it....... thanks!!!!!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 18 May 2006 , 9:30pm
post #27 of 30

I stock up on mixes and stuff when it's on sale, and someone always asks me if I'm planning on baking, and I always look at them really serious and say something smart like, "No, what would give you that idea?", and they look at me like I'm a nut because I just go on my merry way. I looked at one woman and said something like, "well, is THAT what this stuff is for" and stated to put it back. She walked away, and I put the stuff back in my cart and walked away giggling to myself. I'm such a smart*** sometimes!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:30am
post #28 of 30

wow that thread made my day!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The first time I bought a huge lot of cake mixes I went to the grocery store asked the manager if I can buy by the case instead of by the box. He said:"which flavor do you want?" and then tried to take one case of the shelves. I said:" not just one case, many cases!" He said he could order them for me, so I ordered 20 cases (10 white/10 devil's food). he didn't say anything that time, but the next day when I went to pick up my order he said to me:" big party!" and I gave him my card. the cashier asked for one two when she saw this! Now when there's a sale, they expect me to put an order! icon_lol.gif

Lorris

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:36am
post #29 of 30

The one that makes me feel most 'guilty' is the Crisco sticks. I think a lot of non-decorators don't realize that's the main ingredient for decorator icing and they really give you odd looks. I'm sure some of them wonder just what I'm up to. icon_wink.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 May 2006 , 9:33am
post #30 of 30

I have gotten some strange comments about my use of crisco. You are right, not a lot of people know that is what the delicious icing is made from

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%