I've Become The "craft Mom"...

Baking By adven68 Updated 21 May 2006 , 7:21pm by MariaLovesCakes

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 17

Good Morning CC...

I just wanted to share my son's first grade class' Mother's Day project...
Since I couldn't have a birthday "party" for my son this year, I volunteered to have a special afternoon at school for him and since it was a week before Mom's day, I killed 2 birds with one stone...

So I baked 24 giant heart cookies, iced them white, prepared 24 small pastry bags with icing, and made enough fondant hearts, flowers and leaves for the class to go nuts with!
After the kids decorated, I took a photo of each of them holding the cookies. I took all the cookies home, packaged them with the photo and tissue paper and ribbons and I am still getting phone calls and emails from the moms saying it was the best "craft" they ever made!

Here is my sample cookie and a photo of my son holding up his cookie...
LL
LL

16 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 17

Excellent! I'm sure they all loved it!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 17

What a great idea!!! And what a great mother's day gift.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 17

What a neat idea, I bet they loved it.

quills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quills Posted 18 May 2006 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 17

I love that idea! My daughter's graduating kindergarten next month - I may steal your idea for her class next yera! Thanks for sharing!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 18 May 2006 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 17

What a terrific idea. Very thoughtful!

By the way, you son looks like he has natural decorating talent!

kos

justagirl626 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justagirl626 Posted 18 May 2006 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 17

great idea
i love it and you did a great job with them
sometimes all that works pays with a lot smiles and thank you

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:46am
post #8 of 17

Great idea adven and your son did an awesome job! Now you know why *I* am on strike, your 1st grade son is doing better than me! icon_lol.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:59am
post #9 of 17

Awesome work... I love The idea.

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 17

What a clever idea. I'm sure the teacher loved it to. It's always nice to have something different done.

~kim

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 17

I love the cookie idea! that is great!! There is nothing wrong with being known as the "craft Mom" lol!!! kep up the great ideas!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 17

great idea - i love the cookies, really cute work

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 17

What a great idea!! I'm definitely going to store that one away for future use! Thanks for sharing.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 17

What a wonderful idea thumbs_up.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 19 May 2006 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 17

That's a great idea! I did something similar for my dauhgter's school, but it got kinda messy.

Did you cover the cookie first with the base icing and then just let them put the decorations on?

That is much better than what I did. The kids were putting globs of icing on the cookie and it got REALLY MESSY!

But you've given me a great idea!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 21 May 2006 , 4:16am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

That's a great idea! I did something similar for my dauhgter's school, but it got kinda messy.

Did you cover the cookie first with the base icing and then just let them put the decorations on?

That is much better than what I did. The kids were putting globs of icing on the cookie and it got REALLY MESSY!

Maria...I thought it would be easier for them if I iced them in advance. Yes, I coated them in white royal icing then I made up little disposable bags with pink for them to decorate with. In the end, they were sucking on the bags....it was hysterical!

BTW...I saw a half dozen moms from the calss today...they are STILL raving about the darn cookies! I used the no-fail recipe...it really is awesome.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 May 2006 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Maria...I thought it would be easier for them if I iced them in advance. Yes, I coated them in white royal icing then I made up little disposable bags with pink for them to decorate with. In the end, they were sucking on the bags....it was hysterical!

BTW...I saw a half dozen moms from the calss today...they are STILL raving about the darn cookies! I used the no-fail recipe...it really is awesome.

Yes, it does makes more sense to ice the cookies before... icon_wink.gif

Next time, I will do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%