Freezing Cakes

Decorating By ladysonja Updated 1 May 2007 , 6:01pm by Ambrosia

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 1 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 11

Hello Ladies -

This is a newbie question that I hope you can answer for me.

What is the proper technique for freezing cakes? Step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

I have read all the threads about fresh vs frozen, thawing, etc, but have not read anything about the proper way to freeze a cake. My books do not even cover the subject.

I work full time and I spend half my weekend making cakes and icing. By Sunday, I am so tired and need to get my chores done that I really do not have time it takes to decorate the perfect cake.

I have baked cakes as early as Thursday night to use over the weekend, but I worry about freshness, so I bake my cakes on Saturday for Sunday decorating to serve on Mondays.

If figure that when I am taking things out of the freezer to fix for dinner, I can also take a cake out to thaw... I got that part down - icon_lol.gif

Thank you in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 11

Just wrap it real tight, with plastic wrap. I put cardboard under it. Make sure nothing is going to land on it and smash it. Freezer burn is made from air on what ever you are freezing, no air no freezer burn.

music77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music77 Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 11

From most of the statements I have seen, after your cake has cooled just a bit...not fully you then wrap the cake completly with saran wrap. You do not include the cardboard because it will get soggy. I am in no way positive but that is how I understand it. After you take your cake out to defrost you can torte after it is only slightly not frozen. It helps it stay more stable and level.I am not sure of the frosting though. I tried to frost while it was still slightly frozen and my buttercream ended up cracking. I don't know if that was why or not. Hopefully one of the experts can make in corrections that may be needed to this.

Ali24 Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 11

I include the cardboard not wraped in plastic wrap just to keep it flat. I don't use it with the cake. It is my freezer cardboard. My cakes get ridges in them from the floor of freezer.

music77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
music77 Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 11

Hi Ali, I am sorry if it sounded like I was correcting you, We must have been posting at the same time, my computer is just reallllly slow. I also put the wrapped cake on the cake plate or cardboard. I just meant that it wasn't supposeed to be in the wrap too. I was amazed at how much easier it was to torte frozen though! I plan on freezing all of my larger cakes just for this benefit!

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 11

This is what I do:

Let cake cool completely. Level the top with a cake leveler.

Double wrap in Saran Wrap (actually, Sam's brand). Double wrap in foil or single wrap in heavy duty foil.

Stick it in the freezer.

Before decoration, allow cake to thaw wrapped on counter top. (I think it thaws faster if I remove the foil, but I leave the Saran so that condensation forms on the wrap, not on the cake, making bacteria more likely.)

I decorate while still cool, but not frozen.

Hope that helps!

cakeislove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeislove Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 11

I follow the same method asTxAgGirl's and they come out just as moist as when they went in. I've substituted 1 layer of press'n seal freezer wrap or freezer bags (when cake is 8" or less) for the foil with great results also. You do want to make sure that the surface you are setting it on in the freezer is flat and pretty level. Cardboard or a fairly large box of frozen food works for me.

Ali24 Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 11

Music77, Sorry, I didn't realize we were typing at the sametime. After I push submit, my computer is going to an error page. It is really making me MAD. It is doing the samething when I try to veiw photos. Sorry for getting so defensive.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 11

I wait about 10 min after it comes out of the oven..then wrap with plastic wrap and freeze it. I ice my cakes right out of the freezer..I do not thaw them. HTH!

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 1 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 11

Ladies - Thank you all for the advise.

At least I can start baking tonight without fear of ruining a batch of cakes because of lack of knowledge! Everyone has offered great tips!

You are awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

Ambrosia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambrosia Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 11

I'm so glad someone asked this question. I have a wedding/reception thingy on Sunday and a really jam packed schedule this week. I was hoping I could bake the layers in advance and decorate on Sunday morning. Glad to know that is an option! icon_smile.gif

Yay. I may even start some layers tonight! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%