Americolor Vs. Wilton Gels

Decorating By tayakaleb Updated 17 Jul 2006 , 6:29am by Cake4ever

tayakaleb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayakaleb Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 19

This may be a dumb question but...

I have always used the wilton gels to color my icing, but I have to do a graduation cake that is navy and hunter green. The cake store only had these color in the americolor. What is the difference in amount. (more or less needed than wilton.) Please any info would help.

18 replies
Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 19

That is a good question; I would like to know myself.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 19

I used the Americolor for the first time this past weekend and found that is took less of an amount to get the color I wanted.

I asked the question once about it tasting yucky like Wilton. Several replied that it has no taste, that is not true I was using the voilet and once I got it to the dark color I wanted I tasted it and it was horrible.

So I am thinging that they all have that horrible taste the darker you make the color.

Sorry to go off on a tangent

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 19

one way to alleviate that is for really dark colors start with a darker icing (meaning for dark purples and blacks I use a light chocolate icing and tint that - it takes some getting used to in figuring out how to get the color you want, but you'll get it right eventually). I think it only works for REALLY dark colors though.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 19

Mix your kelly green with black to get hunter and your blue with black to get navy. Not sure how much you'll need of each color but that's what I've done.

jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 17 May 2006 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 19

I have used americolors the last couple of months and have found them so much easier. You need less color and they have the squeeze bottle with a flip cap so your colors don't dry out like my Wilton ones did.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 17 May 2006 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 19

Sorry about the Violet taste, I used the black, red and other colors and they were without taste.
And you don't have to put alot to get the color you want. I notice some colors even gets darker as the icing dries.
What I personally likes about it is that I don't have to messed up my hands with colors with the squeeze bottle.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 11:20am
post #8 of 19

I had a birthday cake made for my daughter a couple of years ago with the Unversity of South Carolina colors, being black and garnet.

The icing did not taste bad, but I did notice more of an almond flavor with the colored icing. So maybe add less liquid to replace the extra extract and that would help with the taste. Just a thought I am new at this and haven't tried it. I am waiting on my AmeriColors and I can hardly wait to decorate a cake. I am also waiting on a Magic Line 9 X13 pan and I am so excited about straight edges.

darkchocolate

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 11:31am
post #9 of 19

IMO Americolors are by far better than the Wilton gels. You only need to use a small amount of Americolor to get rich vibrant colors!

A tip I learned to is to use milk in place of water in your icing ..it really helps when you are trying to achieve the darker colors!

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 11:06am
post #10 of 19

I just purchased a whole heap of americolor based on the rave reviews and have been dissapointed.... while the variety of colour shades is appealing I still need to use heaps, i thought the benefit of americolor was that they took less..... mmm not sure .... could I have used them incorrectly..

karen

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:05am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky

while the variety of colour shades is appealing I still need to use heaps,

karen

Karen, I have some Americolor pastes too. I'm happy with them, but I've never tried the Wilton ones so I can't compare.

How much do you mean by "heaps".

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 10:14am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky

I just purchased a whole heap of americolor based on the rave reviews and have been dissapointed.... while the variety of colour shades is appealing I still need to use heaps, i thought the benefit of americolor was that they took less..... mmm not sure .... could I have used them incorrectly..

I have found to get the really dark colors, you still need to use a bit, but no where there amount you would use of Wilton gel. What automatically turned me on to Americolors was seeing a demo of them at the ICES convention last year and watching the demonstrator tint a bowl of white icing to red. SO little gel was needed to get a nice bright red and I would have had to use a half a jar of WIlton to even come close to that color. The colors do darken after sitting for awhile, so just do a little bit of color at a time and check on it later. If you need serious dark, at a TINY bit of brown or black.

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 19

I love americolor, you don't have to use a hundred toothpicks to get the right shade just a squeeze and you are ready. For my darker colors I mix them up ahead of time and let them darken.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleG

I love americolor, you don't have to use a hundred toothpicks to get the right shade just a squeeze and you are ready. For my darker colors I mix them up ahead of time and let them darken.

I'm with you! I would use 8 or 9 toothpicks, dabbing more in to find the right wilton color. I love the sqeeze bottles! I think the colors use about the same amounts, except for red and black. You need much more to color with Wiltons red and black. I just made the switch myself. I bought a ton of colors from CC when they were on sale. The color selection with Americolor is GREAT. Even my DB said, " I love that color green you used on the butterfly" I was shocked! A man to notice that?! My DB is a hunter, fisher, aviation machanic, manly kinda man, he NEVER NOTICES stuff like that! I'm still in shock, and now hooked on Americolor.
If you want to start with a few to see how you like it, get the red and black.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 2:33am
post #15 of 19

I think I may have worded my post badly... sorry.

They are certainly better than many other brands that I have tried and I have now tried many.

I love the squeeze bottle, that makes things easy.

I guess I just thought I would get the dark colours or the colours on the bottle pretty easy and with minimal amount but was surprised to see how much I still needed.

I have found that sitting allows the colour to deepen and I have also found that mixing colours works well to... just got to be game to experiment.

I do like them.

karen

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:27am
post #16 of 19

I use so many toothpicks that I thought about getting stock in the toothpick companies icon_lol.gif .

That squeeze bottle from Americolor sounds very tempting. Too bad I can't but them locally.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:36am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

I use so many toothpicks that I thought about getting stock in the toothpick companies icon_lol.gif .

That squeeze bottle from Americolor sounds very tempting. Too bad I can't but them locally.

Well you can get them right here at the Cake Central Store and help support your favorite Cake Community at the same time thumbs_up.gif

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:44am
post #18 of 19

Americolor has a wider range of colors. I prefer not to mix my own colors since it's so hard to match if you come up short. With Americolor they have just about every color I need.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:29am
post #19 of 19

There was a thread about using Koolaid to help darken the red even darker. I have never tried it though.

I have only ever used Wilton since that's all that is available to me overseas. I do plan to try some of the Americolor though when I place a cake order.

Gosh I love this site! You girls are the fountain of knowledge. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%