Is There A Test You Can Do To Determine Stiff Consitency?

Decorating By Fancymcnancy Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm by Littlebit0302

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 12

The Wilton rose has eluded me for a while now, but I am determined to learn how to do it! My course 3 instructor made a comment about the recipe for Wilton bc and said that what they refer to as "stiff" consistency is really too stiff to do roses. How do I know what the right consistency is to do roses?

11 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 12

I, too, am desperate to know the secret to those roses! I'll be watching.....

Shelle

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 12

Not sure, but here's a bump icon_smile.gif

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 12

I've found that there is a really fine line between too stiff and not stiff enough for piping perfect roses. You want the petals to stand up, but not tear at the edges.

I don't make all Crisco class buttercream - I use half butter and half Crisco. This makes a slightly less stiff consistency at full strength than all Crisco buttercream, and it's very nice for roses.

I have been trying IMBC and Duff's Buttercream recently. They are lovely for making roses! Very smooth and nice edges.

I think once you get a batch the right consistency, you'll be able to more easily tell when mixing when it's just right. Add any liquid in very small amounts until you get it right.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 12

My Wilton instructor said to put your spatula in the center of the icing, and if it will stand alone, it is stiff enough........

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 12

If you feel that your hand is about to drop off your arm as your trying to squeeze, it's too stiff.

All kidding aside, the spatula in the center of the icing is a good indication but, it might be too stff at that. All you can do is by trial and error. It depends on how much YOU can squeeze. Try not to fill your bag too much, 1/2 a bag may be too much. Just keep adding water to your frosting ( a few drops at a time) to get the consistency you need.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 12

My Wilton instructor told us that if you can roll a little ball of icing in your hands w/out it sticking, that is stiff.

That being said, I threw out the notion of making roses with thick consistency icing pretty much as soon as I tried it. I make my roses with medium consistency icing and have much better luck - look better with smoother edges. I make it just thick enough so the petals don't droop (and I use a Hershey's kiss for the base - don't have to make any "stiff" icing for an icing base, the kisses won't droop on you!). HTH!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 12

I usually get mine really stiff and then add about a tblsp. of corn syrup or piping gel to the icing and that keeps the edges of the rose petals from looking jagged or ripped!

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 12

I am a Wilton instructor. I always tell my students this....When making stiff for roses look for this. Use the spatula method-in a bowl of ''stiff'' stick spatula in the center and wiggle the bowl in all direction. If it doesn't move it is a stiff. But with the way it could be too stiff and not know it till you tried to pipe it. Or... While in the blend/stir the frosting. Then tap the frosting witha clean finger. If there is no reidue on your finger it is too stiff. Or...If all else fails look for the consistency of freshly made peanutbutter.

I hate to say it, but it is a trial and error type of thing. But once you get the right consistency once you'll know. I don't know if I helped or confussed you more. Good luck!!

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 12

Chrisi you gave the best answer! thx

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 12

where can i find duff's b/c recipe, I would like to try it. so does adding corn syrup not change the taste of the b/c?

Littlebit0302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Littlebit0302 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 12

I was always told to take the spatula and tap the frosting. If it forms a peak that is straight up and down, then that is stiff. So medium the peak should curve over a bit. and for thin the peak should curve a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%