Tips For Applying Ganache

Decorating By montanakate Updated 6 May 2005 , 12:27pm by montanakate

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:30am
post #1 of 4

Ok so I just did my firts ganach covered cake, chocolate explosion recipe given to my by calif4dawn. I think I did something wrong though. I put the buttercream layer on and then covered w/ the ganache. I tried to let the ganache cool a little so it wouldn't melt the butter cream but it looks like it did anyway. It started out pretty smoothe but after a few minutes I got these glops on the sides. icon_cry.gif I think I covered them ok w/ some decorations but I would like it to turn out better next time.
When you do this should your BC layer be really thin or just regular? should you let it crust or put in the fridge? Or should I let the ganache cool more? I thought it would be hard to pour if too cool.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

3 replies
cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 6 May 2005 , 5:31am
post #2 of 4

Next time, you might try it without buttercream.
When I use ganache, it's all I use. I don't use any BC because I find the ganache is sweet enough.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 6 May 2005 , 5:37am
post #3 of 4

The BC is only for a base so the ganache will stick to it. All you need is a very thin crumb coat of BC. And like cupcakequeen said... you really don't need a BC coat. I have done it w/& w/out & they came out fine. If the ganache is too hot it will just melt the BC off or if you use w/out BC it will just all run to the bottom of your cake plate & be too thin. So I would let it cool off a little longer. Hope that helps~

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 6 May 2005 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips. I thought that you have to hav the BC or it wouldn't be smoothe, see how much I know icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%