Flavor And No Fail Sugar Cookies

Baking By kris_813 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm by dailey

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by martii01

THIS MAY BE A LITTLE OFF TOPIC BUT HOW DO YOU GET THIS RECIPE TO BE A SOFTER COOKIE, I'VE MADE A BATCH AND ALTHOUGH THEY WERE TASTY I MUST HAVE FAILED THE NO FAIL SUGAR COOKIES LOL BECAUSE THEY WERE HARD CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!!

The recipe I use is very similar to NFSC (has the same amt of butter and flour). Once, I used XL or Jumbo eggs (I can't recall which ones...I just know that they weren't large) and the cookies came out softer. The only thing is when I flooded with RI they became a little too soft and the cookies broke very easily icon_sad.gif . They weren't as sturdy. I think they would be ok if all you wanted to do is outline them.

HTH

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:15am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_813

Have anyone ever added flavor like orange or strawberry to the no fail sugar recipe. I want to make some roll out strawberry cookies and I need to know if it's ok to do it that way..

I change the flavor of NFSC all the time. I just sub a different flavor out in place of the vanilla or almond extract. I have made bubble gum, pina colada, orange, strawberry, raspberry, etc. I either use LorAnn or Amoretti to switch out. It doesn't change the consistancy just the flavor.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:35am
post #33 of 39

The almond is also delicious but I get very nervous about nut allergies

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:56am
post #34 of 39

i flavor all the time using oils or extracts.
the exception is lemon which i use zest to infuse the sugar before using.

the one thing i would add, is that lime zest (not lemon, just lime) tends to turn brown when baking and can ge kinda unnattractive in sugar cookies. i love lime so i am always playing with lime cookies or icing.
if you zest your limes, keep the zest a little larger than you normally would. you can just stick the zest in your sugar the night before, then sift out the zest with a strainer and still get the lime taste without the brown bits in your cookies. i don't remove the lemon zest when i infuse my sugar, but i do with the lime.

diane

martii01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martii01 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #35 of 39

thanks so much for the quick response ladies so i will try xlarge eggs mayb jus one and take it out just a few minutes earlier, i baked them for about 10min till the edges were golden brown

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #36 of 39
Quote:

thanks so much for the quick response ladies so i will try xlarge eggs mayb jus one and take it out just a few minutes earlier, i baked them for about 10min till the edges were golden brown

I roll my NFSC to about 1/2" thick and they bake anywhere from 8-10 minutes. Set the timer for 4 minutes and then turn them and then the other side for 4 minutes. By the time I get to the oven its been another minute or 2. They turn out perfect everytime! You can't move them immediately, but by the timer goes off to turn the next batch the 1st batch has cooled off enough to move to the cooling rack.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:23pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I've added half a package of strawberry jello to the NFSC before adding the flour.....they were electric pink (which is what my DD wanted) and they tasted AMAZING!!! Very strong strawberry flavor, but OH so good!

did you need to reduce the flour any?

thanks

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #38 of 39

I love emulsions, I use tons of almond emulsion in everything including NFSC.Doesn't evaporate in the oven like extracts do since they have no alcohol in them. Thus they are a stronger flavor

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Quote:

THIS MAY BE A LITTLE OFF TOPIC BUT HOW DO YOU GET THIS RECIPE TO BE A SOFTER COOKIE, I'VE MADE A BATCH AND ALTHOUGH THEY WERE TASTY I MUST HAVE FAILED THE NO FAIL SUGAR COOKIES LOL BECAUSE THEY WERE HARD CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!!

Somehow they do soften in storage, and especially once RI or glace is put on (i guess it absorbs some of the moisture from the icing).
Maybe they need to come out of the oven sooner?

exactly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%