Homemade Powdered Sugar

Decorating By rlm5150 Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 4:39am by 7burnedlillies

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 9

I noticed when I last bought powdered sugar that the ingredients were "sugar and cornstarch". So, my hubub looked up how to make it for me. 1 cup sugar and 1 tbs cornstarch. Your suposed to mix it in a blender on med speed. I don't have a blender so I was thinking about the food processor to do it.
Has anyone tried this?
TAB

8 replies
JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

I've never heard of using a blender, only a food processor..LOL. I've done it a few times, with the FP, and it does work. It's great when you're in a pinch and run out of pwd sugar!

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks JennT,
I can't wait to try it. I read several reviews and they were good. You just confirm them.
Besides, granulated sugar is much cheaper than PS. I would like to always have this on hand so there is no more running to the store in the middle of a recipe to get PS.
TAB

tsuitor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsuitor Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 9

You can also do the same thing with Splenda for customers or family that can not have real sugar. I tried it and it worked great for me.
Taresa

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 9

wow...good tip, tsuitor! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7burnedlillies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7burnedlillies Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 3:59am
post #6 of 9

I used some homemade powdered sugar to make gumpaste and it was not great. Grainy and crumbly.

I am trying to use marshmallows so save it but I am not hopeful.  Suggestions welcome.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 4:23am
post #7 of 9

AIt depends on the volume of work you are doing I guess. It's an extra step and you may never get it as fine as 10x powdered sugar

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 12:32am
post #8 of 9

The problem is the inconsistent result.

Ordinary crystalline white sugar, when you run it through a coffee grinder OR food processor OR a small spice grinder produces powder with various sized crystals. 

Commercial powdered sugar is produced by grinding, then sieving multiple times.

FYI

* Icing sugar, confectioners' sugar, powdered sugar containing 3-5% starch has a 0.007 - 0.11mm  Crystal size
* Caster/castor sugar, superfine sugar has a 0.29 - 0.34mm Crystal size
* White, granulated, table sugar has a 0.4 - 0.8mm  Crystal size

7burnedlillies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7burnedlillies Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 4:39am
post #9 of 9

I totally saved it. The marshmallows worked great. The trick is I have to heat up the amount I am going to use in the microwave and knead it as soon as I can handle it. It makes the best tasting gum paste ever, and it seems a little less fragile too. :) I sadly did not keep track of the amount of marshmallows I added, but I am sure I can figure it out. Tastes just like peeps. I know most people do not eat sugar flowers, but I like to make them as tasty and safe as possible anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%