Using Your Vehicle For Delivery And Insurance Issues

Business By sugarandspice Updated 18 May 2005 , 4:34pm by melodyscakes

sugarandspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandspice Posted 5 May 2005 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 4

How does everyone handle delivery? Do you use your own personal vehicle, and if so did you tell your insurance agent that's what it's being used for? Or do you have a separate delivery vehicle? Most places I've worked have used their own vehicles to deliver with, but now that I'm the owner I'm wondering if that's legit. Thanks!

3 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 May 2005 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 4

I don't have a legal business so I can't help you alot, but definetly check with your insurance agent. Also if you have a lien against the car, you probably want to check your loan papers, it might have a contingency in there that you can't use your vehicle for work related things like delivery.
If your insurance agent says that it's not going against your insurance policy, then yes you can use your car and you might be able to claim a tax deduction on your business taxes for it.

And if anything, this will get bumped up and someone with more experience can answer it.

sugarandspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandspice Posted 15 May 2005 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. To be honest it wasn't something that I had ever really thought about but then two different people asked me about it at two different times on the same day and that made me wonder if I should be thinking about it! I talked about it with an insurance person that I was getting a quote for our business insurance from and he didn't know-he said no one had ever asked him about it. That sort of made me think that most people just deliver in their own vehicles. I haven't yet decided what to do about it.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 May 2005 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 4

i hadnt thought about insurance issues yet....but i do claim my profits/losses on taxes and also i write down milage, at tax time you get $0.38 per business mile you travel.
i am working on getting liscence, that will be probably at the end of summer, but i have a business name, and a tax exempt card for walmarts, hobby lobby and micheals, i've stocked up on cake boxes, we just have to finish my kitchen (grrrrr)
thanks for question about insurance....when i get my liscence and am making more cakes i will check into that, or not...i'll just have to see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%