Barely Legal In New Orleans

Business By aadduci Updated 15 May 2006 , 9:51pm by aadduci

aadduci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aadduci Posted 15 May 2006 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, This is my first time posting but I have already gotten so much information from all of you so thank you.
I have been having the hardest time finding any information about legalities of running a home business in New Orleans
Does anyone know if it's possible and what i have to do to certify my kitchen and run a business legally.
I've read about having a seperate kitchen. Does that mean that it has to be in a different location intirely from your home or can it be on the second floor of your home if no one is using it and it has it's own entrances.
One more question, if I do get my kitchen certified can I legally rent it out to people by the hour as a certified kitchen.
Thank you all so much

4 replies
Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 15 May 2006 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 5

Hi and welcome to CC! I'm not sure about your state, but in my state, Florida, the Department of Agriculture is the one who regulates selling food and renting kitchens, etc. They are a good place to start or the Secretary of State's office. They should be able to answer all of your questions. You can also check the websites for those offices and see if there's anything on the Internet answering your questions. Hope this helps and good luck with your business!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 15 May 2006 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 5

You could also check with your local Health Dept. office. Here in Alabama that's who regulates food type businesses and permits. If LA requires a seperate kitchen, it most likely will need to just be a kitchen that is not used by your family on a daily basis...whether it's a completely separate building on your property or just in another part of your house, such as a basement or addition, that has it's own entrance/exit. In Alabama they require it to have it's own entrance/exit to the exterior of your dwelling, specifically...but can be within the home itself, or an addition that's connected to the house itself. Did that make sense?? icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif If you have a certified kitchen, I don't see why you couldn't rent it out...great idea. Unless your state doesn't allow it or has different regulations for that sort of thing.

If you're within city limits, you will also probably need a separate business license from them, apart from your food service permit...so you might want to just start by calling city hall and ask them what their requirements are for a food related type business. They can probably give you lots of insight and point you in the right direction. But, if you're outside of the city limits, like I am, you may not need to have a regular business license and just would need your food service permit or whatever LA's equivalent is. I'm out in the country...LOL...and the county doesn't require a business license for this type of thing since I don't have a storefront in one specific location/town...then I would have to get a business license from that town. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 15 May 2006 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 5

Hello!!! I actually can't help you, I'm in Canada but wanted to welcome you to CC!!! Addictive isn't it?

have a nice day

Lorris

aadduci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aadduci Posted 15 May 2006 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 5

thank you all so much. CC is definately addictive. If I didn't have a job I'd never stop

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%