How Long Is Buttercream Icing Good For?????

Decorating By Carolina_Girl Updated 14 May 2006 , 4:27pm by Carolina_Girl

Carolina_Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolina_Girl Posted 13 May 2006 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

icon_sad.gif I forgot to put my buttercream Icing on the frig. Is it ok to use or should I just make another batch? I did use meringue powder in my icing.

6 replies
tccksmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tccksmith Posted 13 May 2006 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 7

Here is how I think of it..You frost it on the cake and then the cake stays out for 2-3 days. Unless the recipe calls for refrigeration, then I would say you are safe. One sure way is to do a taste test.. Good Luck.

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 13 May 2006 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 7

It all depends on the ingredients you used to make the BC icing and the amount of time it was left out.

If you used milk instead of water, then I'd say make a new batch if it was left out for more than a few hours.

If you used a butter / Crisco combo (or butter at all) then I'd definatly say make a new batch, if it was left out for more than a few hours. Since butter has a tendency to go rancid (or even mold) pretty quick if left out.

I almost always use water instead of milk. When I do use milk, I use sweetened condensed milk, because it already has preservatives in it from the canning process.

I don't ever use butter unless I know the cake will be eaten right away or refrigerated. The only exception to this is when I use a mixture of 1/2 "butter" and 1/2 crisco. My 1/2 "butter" is actually a small amount of real butter and mostly butter flavored crisco.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 14 May 2006 , 12:17am
post #4 of 7

I use the 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco and I do not refrigerate my cakes or buttercream unless the filling calls for refrigeration. I don't use milk though, I use coffee creamer and water (got that idea from sugarshack).

I have heard though that even if u used milk in the buttercream you would be ok, becasue the sugar acts as a preservative (salt as well). Before I started using creamer and water I used whipping cream a few times and the cake was fine after a few days

I have never had butter go rancid or get moldy in a few hours. My grandmother leaves it (and margerine) out for days as we use it.. Of course its not like 100 degrees or anything like that in the house.

suepre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepre Posted 14 May 2006 , 12:32am
post #5 of 7

I think your icing is fine. I once read in baking911.com that there is so much conf. sugar that it does act as a preservative. Most cakes I do I make the icing the day before and leave covered on the counter. Never had a problem or a complaint.

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 14 May 2006 , 8:34am
post #6 of 7

Here is the quote from baking 911...

Question: Why doesn't buttercream made with butter, powdered sugar and a small amount of milk need refrigeration?

Answer: Because of its high content of sugar and fat. Micro-organisms need water to grow. When the sugar content is so high, the sugar binds the water in such a way that micro-organisms cannot utilize it. Technically its called "water activity control."

I use a 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco reciepe and I leave the cake out..
Hope this helps!!
icon_lol.gif JoAnn

Carolina_Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolina_Girl Posted 14 May 2006 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. I use butter flavoring instead of butter and I use water not milk in my icing. I am going to go ahead and use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%