Should I "cancel" On This Bride?? Long

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 16 May 2006 , 12:13am by leily

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 May 2006 , 3:20am
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

Cut her loose. And I, too, think her friend's secret recipie is a box mix.

I was going to say the exact same thing!! Sounds like she doesn't want the bride to know it's a mix or doctored mix cake!

Lose the bride thumbsdown.gif and save your sanity!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 14 May 2006 , 3:32am
post #32 of 46

I'm with SugarFrosted on this one. A deposit holds the date, period end of story. So go make special dinner plans with your husband or friends so you're not telling a white lie about a schedule conflict, and then apologize that you had another event on the same day and you were no longer available. Thank her for thinking of you and don't look back.

I can't understand the bride's evasiveness about this recipe! It's astonishing!

She really should ask this friend of hers to do it anyway!

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 14 May 2006 , 2:45pm
post #33 of 46

Since this person has been so adament about not giving the recipe, I would be concerned if she did give it to you that she would change an ingredient or something. Then it wouldn't turn out right anyway.

I am with everybody else, tell her since she didn't leave a deposit you have now booked another "party". She does not have to know if it is just a shopping trip.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 15 May 2006 , 12:38pm
post #34 of 46

She sounds like "one of those brides". I don't think this is the kind of "experience" that you are hoping for. With all the samples, the fact that your dh would have to take time off of work and all the time you have already put into this cake it sounds like you are practically paying HER for the pleasure of making her wedding cake.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 15 May 2006 , 12:49pm
post #35 of 46

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_twisted.gif

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 15 May 2006 , 12:53pm
post #36 of 46

Run like the wind!!! Sounds to me like you have already put $75 worth of time and effort into it and won't even be getting paid for that!! Don't let her suck anymore time or effort out of you, not to mention the worrying that you are doing over it!!

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 15 May 2006 , 1:04pm
post #37 of 46

I would let her go she will never be happy with what you do.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 15 May 2006 , 1:09pm
post #38 of 46

I agree with everyone who has spoken before me. THe starting price was too cheap and , before I did the second tasting I would have gotten a deposit. People wonder why we charge "so much" for "just a cake" I wonder how many actually consider the trouble we go to for samples etc. before we even get a job? I say RUNNNNN

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 15 May 2006 , 1:11pm
post #39 of 46

I would simply appoligize and tell her that something has come up and you can't help her at this time. I think that anything you do for her would in the end be wrong, and dealing with her you may end up losing more that the 75.00. Most all of our business is word of mouth and it only takes one that you can't please under any circumstance to put a damper on all of our hard work. I think her friend should bake her cake. And then again she is her friend and knows how she is and has already "told " her she has prior engagements. lol

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 15 May 2006 , 1:25pm
post #40 of 46

you need to be the runaway baker!!

At my bakery the deposit holds the day. NO tastings until there is a deposit and cake is paid in full on the Tuesday of the wedding or there will be NO baking!!! I always tell them it is so I don't have to bother them the day of but really it's because cake loses it's value after it's been devoured!!
Good Luck!!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:07pm
post #41 of 46

I'd tell her the next time she calls that since she didn't leave a deposit, you booked someone else that paid a deposit.
Run fast from her.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:10pm
post #42 of 46

I wouldn't do it but...
If you decide to make this cake, get the entire payment up front and only make a recipe you are familiar with.

MissJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJ Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:21pm
post #43 of 46

1st of all she hasn't given you a deposit

2nd of all you are making all attempts to satisfy something that isn't definite

3rd of all she's too DIFFICULT

4th of all she's already waisted too much of your time and he even had the nerve to not like your cake.......(that should tell you something)

Last of all....the money that you're charging her isn't even really worth the hassel. She should pay you the money anyway just because you've put up with her.....LET HER GO..... there is too much other business out there and sounds like to me you weren't missing much there.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:35pm
post #44 of 46

Yeah.

When I think about it, I've charged more than $75 for some birthday cakes. (They were filled masterpieces only I could POSSIBLY create, hhhaaa!)

However, I'm sure by now, and especially since you've felt strongly enough in question about it to post your query on this board, you're in full acceptance of what you should do.

I'd be coming up with another "engagement" very quickly...

Let us know, and as always, good luck!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 15 May 2006 , 5:30pm
post #45 of 46

Yes, I think I have concluded I am not going to do it at all...it's now a matter of when and how to break it to her... icon_smile.gif thanks for all the encouragement and support...you all are the BEST! icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2006 , 12:13am
post #46 of 46

i wouldn't worry about contacting her. Let her call you and when she wants to make another appointement or tell you she got the recipe (or most likely didn't get it) then just let her know you are sorry the date has already been reserved and you can not take on another order for the day.

Good luck

Leily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%