Canned Frosting Plus Cool Whip???

Decorating By Kelrak Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 6:11am by AshleyCF25

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 13 May 2006 , 4:43am
post #1 of 10

Help! I'm making a checkerboard cake for my daughter's classroom, since they have been studying quilting. The teacher gave me the pan, two cake mixes and one can of frosting. She sent a note saying she wanted me to put frosting between the two round layers, but for the rest of the cake, I need to add cool whip to the frosting, then store it in the freezer.

Problem # 1--my freezer isn't very big. How do I store a frosted 2 layer round cake?

Problem #2--will this type of frosting work? I can't even picture mixing canned frosting with cool whip?

Thanks![/code]

9 replies
Kelrak Posted 13 May 2006 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 10

I decided to go buy some frosting and cool whip and give it a try. I'll post my results later.

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 13 May 2006 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 10

Instead of Cool-Whip you may want to consider Dream Whip. It's a powdered cool-whip like supstitute.

Depending on how much icing you make, you mix 1/2 to 1 envelope with 1/4 to 1/2 cup warm water, add this mixture to your BC icing and add powdered sugar as needed to make a stuff icing.

This gives you a fluffy BC icing.

tccksmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tccksmith Posted 13 May 2006 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 10

Are they studying quilting or baking? LOL.. I have never heard of that before but it sounds good. Although I do love the Dream Whip version..

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 13 May 2006 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 10

The DreamWhip icing, which I call BBC or BetterButterCream is a version I concocted from several different recipes.

I've just about gotten it to be like the BetterCream icing you can get on store bought cakes now.

Light, fluffy, stable, able to be used for decorations and not as sweet as regular BC icing.

Kelrak Posted 15 May 2006 , 4:35am
post #6 of 10

Yep, they're studying quilting, but they are doing their end-of-the-year performance about the history and meaning of different quilts, then a party. That's what the cake is for! Actually there will be 4 of them, but I'm only doing one cake. The kids are singing "Coat of Many Colors" by Dolly Parton, and each kid (2nd graders) has made a little quilt of some sort. It's supposed to be a surprise.

I made a practice cake today and it was fun. The checkerboard insert is a little hard to use because you have to be careful to get the right color into the right little ring. I will try piping it into the insert next time. I never knew that the checkerboard cake was just 3 "bullseyes".

The cool whip + frosting didn't turn out bad. She gave me chocolate frosting to add to the cool whip, and she wants the cakes to be frozen so they will cut easier. This teacher is sooooooo picky!

The dream whip version sounds good too, so I might try that in the future, but I'm not really a fan of whipped cream icing. My kiddos love it though.

Thanks for the tips!
Kelly

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 10

This is a little late, but there is a recipe either in the Kraft magazine or on their website. I just saw it about a month ago and it said to mix canned frosting and cool whip in the microwave and pour it over the cake. I will see if I can find it a little later and post the exact recipe.

Kelrak Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 5:47am
post #8 of 10

Just mixing the frosting into the cool whip a little at a time worked well. It tasted really good, especially frozen.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of my cake.

For anyone attempting to use the checkerboard cake pans with the plastic inserts, I would recommend piping the batter into the rings. It's much easier than trying to pour the thick batter into the narrow channel.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 10

I did a dessert cake for Memorial Day. For the cake, I took a cake mix and poured it into the pan, then dollopped pie filling on top of the batter. After baking and cooling the cake, I mixed together one can of frosting and an 8oz tub of Cool Whip. The cake turned out very moist and the pudding ended up at the bottom of the pan for a little pocket of surprise. The frosting was very good icon_smile.gif Another frosting idea is to mix together Cool Whip and prepared pudding. I didn't freeze the cake but I refrigerated it. Hope this helps.

AshleyCF25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyCF25 Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 6:11am
post #10 of 10

Hi i have used the checkerboard cake and cupcake inserts. i just used a serving spoon (one for each color/flavor of batter) the cupcake insert is hard cuz they are smaller then the cake version. but it wasnt as big a mess as using a spatula like it was my first try. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%