Skewers Instead Of Dowels?

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 3:32am by angelcakesmom

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 13

I used skewers instead of dowels on the top two tiers of my 3 tiered cake. 8", 6" and 4" I ran out when I doweled the 8" then used skewers even the one going down the center of the cake is a skewer is this safe I heard of some cc members using them but they seemed thinner than dowels hope the cake doesn"t fall apart

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

Sure, I have heard of lots of people using them. Some use them in conjunction with straws, for double stability.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 13

The problem with skewers is that they are absorbent, so if you cake is very moist or will be standing for a while they absorb the moisture and start to bend. A friend of mine found this out the hard way on a wedding cake once!
Thick straws do work great though.
hth
Diane

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 13

Didn't even think of the absorbency problem. That's probably another reason why people use the straws in conjunction with them, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 13

If you have a Chinese or Vietnamese market in your area, you can pick up some bubble tea straws for like a buck for 50. They have a much wider diameter than regular drinking straws and are quite sturdy. I've been using them for awhile and love them! You can also order them online.

I would not use skewers because of their very small diameter.

feverfixer Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 13

When it comes to straws I have a confession, I really like the Jack-in-the-box milkshake straws! A couple extra come home with me each time. I only make a few tiered cakes, so it's not like I am using a lot, and I just couldn't find any in the stores like it. icon_redface.gif
Diane

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 13

LOL Diane, you are funny! I promise, I won't tell Jack! icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 13

oh no I am so scared now!!!!!!!!!!!! the cake it's standing still it has been in the refrigerator since last night! should I worry?

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 13

can you take it apart and add straws to it? Just place them in where the dowels are?

feverfixer Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 13

At this point I would not worry about it since the cake supporting the most weight is dowelled. There really is much less weight on the top. I would just watch it unless it can easily be redone. I'm sure it will be fine. People have obviously used them many times with no problems.
Diane

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by feverfixer

When it comes to straws I have a confession, I really like the Jack-in-the-box milkshake straws! A couple extra come home with me each time. I only make a few tiered cakes, so it's not like I am using a lot, and I just couldn't find any in the stores like it. icon_redface.gif
Diane

But can I get the straws without the milkshakes? That is the question! My hips don't need more milkshakes--LOL!

Is there a name brand of straw that is really durable at cheapo stores like Walmart?

feverfixer Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:08am
post #12 of 13

I get iced tea - zero cals...I save all my cals for cake of course. I just help myself to the good straws on the way out!
lol
Diane

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:32am
post #13 of 13

I would be afraid of the skewers because they seem to splinter when you break them and I wouldn't it to end up in the cake. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%