Cake Decorator Job - Should I Accept It?

Decorating By surfergina Updated 16 May 2006 , 4:27am by AmberCakes

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 15

Hi! I just got a phone call today from a local grocergy chain and they're asking me for an interview to be a cake decorator (part-time). I said sure, I'll meet with them next Monday.

The biggest problem is that I put my house for sale. My family and I are moving to another state. The house has been on the market for 2 1/2 months already with no buyer. Once the house is sold, that's when we start packing and move out.

Should I accept a job to gain experience as a cake decorator (I desperately need experiences in order to operate my own home based bakery in my new home) since I might work there for 3 months? Should I tell the boss about my house or should I cancel my interview appointment?

Help! I don't know what to do. icon_sad.gif

14 replies
Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 15

icon_rolleyes.gif Hummm.......I think I would probably take it- since it is only part time. But be honest with them at the interview about your home.....If it is only for a few month, you will have gained lots of experience from being able to do it every day.....Good Luck! Keep us posted! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 15

Yes go to the interview, but be honest!

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 15

Wellllll, I can kinda relate. I recently took a PT job with Kroger, I applied for cashier until I found what I really wanted, but once they found out my experience with previous deli and cake decorating they were drooling over me (no exaggeration either) So, here I am working in the bakery for the last 5 wks, and they've just offered me promotion for assistant head bakery, but exclusively in charge of bakery dept. It will double my pay and they'll send me to their cake decorating classes.

How can I pass it up?

Anyways, I wouldn't tell them about the house. They wouldn't hire you and you would definately gain experience that you need if you work there for only a couple of months.

This was to be a temporary position for me, but now I'll probably be there for a couple of years. Great pay, excellent benefits and the experience I get from doing this everyday, definately helps.

I have made a vow to myself that they'll always get great work from me but my truly "creative" ideas will be for my own customers.
(BTW - I'm not allowed to "recruit" new customers for my own business from Kroger)

Barb

surfergina Posted 12 May 2006 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for your reply! I found it to be helpful! icon_smile.gif

surfergina Posted 15 May 2006 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 15

I'm back - I just finished my interview with them and they hired me on the spot! They desperately need me to fill in their back orders, even though they don't care that I only wanted to work for summer season due to moving out of state.

They are very nice people. The schedule is flexible and the pay is not bad at all, as well as still getting a benefits for under 30 hours per week. I'm glad that I got this job.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 15 May 2006 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 15

icon_biggrin.gif Congratulations!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 May 2006 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 15

Congratulations.

Learn, learn, learn...happy decorating thumbs_up.gif

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 15 May 2006 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 15

Congratulations! Glad it worked out for you!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 15 May 2006 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 15

Congratulations!!
Leslie

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 15 May 2006 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 15

Congratulations!! Now take the opportunity to learn everything you possibly can. And have fun!

Barb

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 15 May 2006 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 15

Congrats icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #13 of 15

don't forget to take pictures of the cakes you do at the bakery also... anything to help that portfolio grow!

Leily

surfergina Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:06am
post #14 of 15

Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 16 May 2006 , 4:27am
post #15 of 15

See being honest is worthwhile. In my opinion. Congratulations and Good luck in the selling of your home. Looks like things will go in your favor. icon_smile.gif

~Josie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%