I Hate Wilton's...

Decorating By Tawana Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm by sarduengo

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 22

Bake Easy Non-stick spray.
Ok, I ran out of Wilton's Cake Release and this store had a bottle of The Bake Easy spray on Clearance. Wow! I thought! icon_eek.gif
I am totally convinced that this spray is the cause for the tops being ripped off of the last four cakes that I have made, including the two I just took out of the oven. icon_mad.gif
Has anyone else had trouble with this?
I absolutely love the Cake Release and will be going to the store today to restock. thumbs_up.gif

21 replies
heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 22

i've never had any trouble with the spray, but i've heard others say they like the cake release better too

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 22

If you run out of cake release, use 1 part flour, 1 part oil, one part shortening and that works as a great cake release!!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 22

Just used the cake release recipe from this board: equal parts Crisco, oil and flour, mashed it all in a ziplock bag til well blended, then use a pastry brush to apply to pan. It worked like a dream ! (this was my first time using this today, about an hour ago)

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 22

I rub the inside of the pan with crisco then put about 1/4 cup of flour in the pan and shake it around till the entire pan is covered and pour out the left over flour. Ive never had a cake stick this way.

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks guys!!!
Can't wait to try it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 22

I use the Crisco spray with flour its in a blue can...works perfectly and I don't think it is near as expensive.

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:04am
post #8 of 22

i too am a huge fn of the wilton cake rlease.... never had any problems with it... always perfect & Pretty cakes!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 2:49am
post #9 of 22

...ditto with wgoat5..... icon_biggrin.gif

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 22

bump never used it lol icon_biggrin.gif

mcjohnson7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcjohnson7 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 22

I have used Baker's Joy since I started baking and have never had a cake stick.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 22

I'm with Renaejrk equal part oil, flour and crisco is awesome! It is cheap to make to. That is all I use and I have NEVER had a cake stick!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 22

i have never used a cake release...i think it is a totall waste of money. i just grease my pans with margerine and then coat them in flour. i have never ever had any cake that has stuck to my pans!!!

hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 22

since using the homemade cake release I will never go back. It is super easy to use and there is no alcohol or propellants in it like the sprays.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnogden

since using the homemade cake release I will never go back. It is super easy to use and there is no alcohol or propellants in it like the sprays.

ditto! I'll never use spray again.

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I use the Crisco spray with flour its in a blue can...works perfectly and I don't think it is near as expensive.

I use this as well but may end up using the homemade cake release. Seems easier.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:02pm
post #17 of 22

does the homemade leave a flour residue on the cake though? That is why I don't flour my pans..

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm
post #18 of 22

I love both Wilton's pan grease. I hadn't noticed the problems others have had with the spray. But will check it out later.

hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:15pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

does the homemade leave a flour residue on the cake though? That is why I don't flour my pans..

Nope not at all. Since it is mixed really well into the oil and shortning it just kind of dissappears.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:18pm
post #20 of 22

If you put to much it will, I use paper towel to appy the homemade version and love it. The cakes just slide right out. I've even forgotton about the cakes cooling a few times and even after an hour they slid out with no problem (although I don't recommend waiting so long).

wgoat5 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:18pm
post #21 of 22

Thank ya icon_smile.gif

sarduengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarduengo Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #22 of 22

I started using the homemade cake release about six months ago. Won't go back! It's so nice to have all the ingredients at home - just whip up another batch! I mix the flour and crisco together well and then mix in the oil. It's wonderful and a lot cheaper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%