Your Opinion Please: Crisco Taste?

Decorating By Charmed Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm by lildutch10

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 17

I just want to know your opinion:
Do you like the taste of of BC with 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco? Or do you prefer just butter?
Do you think crisco has a greasy after taste? In general Do people like the taste of crisco/butter combination?
Katy

16 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 17

I always use 50/50 butter and crisco. Everyone loves it, because they're used to 100% crisco, which I don't care for. I like to get that buttery taste. I've never used 100% butter, because I've heard it can be temperamental in warm weather. I've never noticed an aftertaste.

Now I LOVE IMBC, but I can't convince everyone else that they love it! It's just too different from what they're used to, I guess.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 17

I use 1/2 butter & 1/2 Crisco. Everyone seems to like it. icon_biggrin.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 17

I can't stand the crisco taste, but I find that most people are used to it. I use 100% butter in the winter time, and 75/25 butter/crisco in the summer. People rave about the taste of my icing -- even those who were raised on the Crisco taste.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 17

I've received nothing but compliments from my customers when using the 50/50 recipe.

But my new fave is Duff's French BC which is actually an IMBC. It is absolutely divine. Here's a post I recently made after making my first batch. I can't say enough about how wonderful it is!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=234631&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 17

all crisco, when I tried the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco my family complained. I didn't like it either. It tasted like the canned frosting. Only tastes greasy in the summer when the temp. hits 100+.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 17

I use 100% crisco and receive great reviews so far. I find the all crisco recipe holds up well and I can decorate nicely with it also.

cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 17

I too use all crisco. I get great reviews.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 17

I use all butter. I could probably get away with 50/50 with my customers - but I don't like that crisco feel/taste at all. Test: put a blob of crisco in your mouth. Wait for it to melt. Hope you have a good book! It doesn't melt in your mouth or in your belly - yum.

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 17

all crisco! my customers gone addicted to it! ..lol! True!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 17

I use all butter. even the 1/2 leaves a greasy film on the roof of my mouth.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 17

I use all crisco too! I think next time I will use 50% and see what everyone thinks.
Judy

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 17

Does the all butter recipe crust???

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 17

Not to hijack your thread or anything but have you guys heard that they changed the crisco formula because of the trans fat stuff??? The lady at happy hostess was telling me that now the new formula has been giving people fits!! She said that people are complaining that the crisco just gets big airbubbles (picture fondant air pockets) and then just slips of the cake!!! YIKES!!

I using the crusting buttercream which has butter and crisco...and everyone likes it.

I just purchased the Alpine Hi Ratio Shortening and can't wait to try it out!!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 17

BUTTERCREAM DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have never, ever, EVER liked BC icing until I tried BCD. Now I can't stop eating it! lol
Where I grew up everyone used the all crisco BC, and I find it absolutely repulsive! Even with the ps, it still tastes like you're just eating a great big spoon full of crisco--GROSS! Maybe it's not the taste so much as the texture that bothers me, but either way, it's disgusting! I've tried the all butter recipes, and I don't really care for the taste of that, either. Since I started using BCD, I've had nothing but compliments on my frosting.
Buttercream dream all the way for this picky icing eater!!! icon_smile.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 17

I'm all for Buttercream without Crisco.

Buttercream not made from butter is sacrilege. icon_surprised.gif

lildutch10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildutch10 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 17

i have only used the class bc icing recipe which is 100% crisco.... everyone raves about how good the icing tastes so i guess it's good! i personally love the REAL buttery taste... but im afraid to make it b/c im afraid my decs wont turn out good.... oh well maybe i can try the 50/50

my hubby prefers vanilla anyway lol he hates the butter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%