Antonia74 Help

Decorating By SarahJane Updated 14 May 2006 , 8:52pm by beachcakes

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 11 May 2006 , 3:58am
post #1 of 11

I posted a question and someone posted a couple of your really beautiful cakes. They were very tall and had fresh flowers on them. I'm trying to make a tall cake like that. It is 3 layer 6". I've put it together and I've doweled it, but it is still leaning a little. How do you keep your cakes from leaning to one side? Please help. I'm doing the cake tonight, it's for a wedding tomorrow. Thanks.

If anyone else knows how to help, please feel free to chime in.

thanks.

SARAH

10 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 11 May 2006 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 11

We can only guess, without seeing your cake during the construction phases, but, I'll chime in with....

When you cut your dowels, they have to be EXACTLY the same size. I cut the first one, remove it, and use it to mark the others. Then, I line them up on the counter to make sure they truly are all the same. If one is too tall, I get the wood rasp after it.

Keep in mind that if the first layer is even a tiny bit off, the error will be multiplied as the cake grows taller. Once you've doweled the first layer, place a cake cardboard on top of the dowels, and check it with a level. Move the level so that you're checking the cake in all directions. When you get your foundation perfect, then move on.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 May 2006 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

sorry! You should have just PM'd me. I didn't notice this post until today. How did it go?

SarahJane Posted 12 May 2006 , 9:12am
post #4 of 11

It went great. It was leaning even after I doweled it, but I stuck it in the fridge with the crumb coat on, let it set a couple hours and then I took it out and kind of shifted it with my hands until it was sitting right and then stuck it back up in the fridge and it stayed straight. I know my problem is that I put in to much filling, so it tends to slide even though I put it together correctly, but I make my cakes and fillings from scratch and I think the more filling the better the cake, so what can you do? I was really happy with how it turned out. The cake that you have where the lines are "etched" in the side. How do you do that? You have really beautiful cakes. Thanks for everything

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 11

not sure which cake you mean by "etched sides"? icon_confused.gif Is it the chocolate 3-tier with chocolate snowflakes on top?

SarahJane Posted 13 May 2006 , 8:59am
post #6 of 11

No I think it was white and it looked like you took a wide toothed comb and ran it around the cake, I hope this makes sense. So it was kind of bumpy for lack of a better word. I'm sorry I don't even understand what I'm saying, don't worry about it. I'm confusing my own self. Anyway, thanks. You have really beautiful cakes. I'm working on getting there some day. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 13 May 2006 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 11

I am not sure which cake you are referring to SarahJane, but I would suggest looking into the clay modeling dept of any art store. I bought a plastic comber that came with interchangeable combs for different line widths and large enough for cakes, for under $5.

It is amazing what you can find in other art sections that can be used for cake decorating.

Have fun!!!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 13 May 2006 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 11

I'm pretty sure this is the cake of Antonia74's that SarahJane is referring to...it has combed sides. I believe it's just a regular cake comb that Antonia74 used for it. It's just beautiful in my book...very simple and so elegant!

SarahJane...I'm glad everything worked out for you. I've done the same thing...way too much filling and the cake wants to go all wonky on me! icon_razz.gif I usually just put mine in the fridge for as long as possible and it does the trick...just like you did. Please do post a pic...what kind of flowers did you end up going with? Did you use the Ti leaves on the drum/board? I wanna see, I wanna see!! icon_lol.gif icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

SarahJane Posted 13 May 2006 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 11

Thankyou Jenn, and that is the exact cake I was talking about. I'm glad someone understands me icon_smile.gif Anyway, I need to scan the picture in, I'm one of the few people left in the world that doesn't have a digital camera. The cake turned out really good. I would have like it a bit taller, but it looked good. I ended up using pink and white lilly, some white orchids, some pink and white anthurium (they look like plastic hearts with a big center stamen sticking out), and a few of the lilly leaves and buds. I did wrap the cake board in ti leaves and it looked really good. It was one of the first things my friend noticed when I dropped off the cake. Anyway, I'll post the picture hopefully tonight. thanks everyone.

SARAH

SarahJane Posted 14 May 2006 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 11

Well, here it is. This is the finished product. The flowers are lillies, orchids, and anthuriums. The cake board is covered in ti leaves. The cake is white cake from scratch and mango filling with buttercream frosting. Thanks to everyone that helped and gave me so many great ideas.

SARAH

THE PHOTO WON'T ATTACH, PLEASE SEE MY PHOTO ALBUM

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 May 2006 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 11

Beautiful cake SarahJane! I've seen new combs from Wilton(?) that make the design like Antonia's. Also very pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%