Frosting 300 Cupcakes! How Much Frosting To Make?

Decorating By Avocet Updated 11 Dec 2014 , 12:14am by patrica

Avocet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Avocet Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #1 of 18

Hi! I am brand new here, so thanks in advance. I am making 300 (or so) cupcakes for my daughters wedding reception next weekend. I am going to use a basic buttercream frosting, but I'm not sure about the quantity. The basic recipes generally call for 1 C butter to 4 C powdered sugar for one layer cake. I will be making the equivalent of twelve cake recipes, so my question is, would I just make 12 times the regular frosting recipe?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Andrea

17 replies
The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #2 of 18

That is what I would do, because the cupcake will need a little bit more anyway for the height...Blessings on your baking! <><

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:10am
post #3 of 18

It'd be easiest for me to double my recipe 6 times. I rarely ever make a single batch. Boy, I hope you'll have some help with those. That's a lot of piping!! Give yourself time for breaks, and remember to eat and drink. Most of the time when I get to the construction and decorating stage I forget to do either.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:26am
post #4 of 18

I'm with CarolAnn. I NEVER make all of my icing all at once. If I need more, I make more. If I have extra, I store it.

SHould I assume a cake recipe is the equivalent of a cake mix? A single batch of icing will ice more than a cake mix for me, so if I was using 12 cake mixes, I wouldn't need twelve batches of icing (each batch uses a 2-lb bag of p. sugar).

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:32am
post #5 of 18

Oh, yeah, of course I wouldn't try to do one HUGE batch of the icing! WOWzers that would be a mess! Do 6 double batches...(well, hmmm, I do have one of those 20 qt Hobarts...so I could do it...) And try to place them as high as you can, on top of an inverted stock pot or something, to save on your back when piping! Have fun! Shawn <><

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:46am
post #6 of 18

When i make up the whole 2lb bag of powdered sugar it will frost 24 cupcakes. So i think you will need 12 bags icon_confused.gif

deesquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesquared Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:16am
post #7 of 18

How would you get all that icing the same colour?
That is a feat in itself!

Andrea - take the advice about taking breaks! Your cupcakes will be lovely and yummy I'm sure! Please post a picture of them!

Dianna

Avocet Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:42am
post #8 of 18

Thanks so much everyone! Luckily, my daughter wants a simple cupcake so the frosting is not going to be colored. There will be colored sugars on top, and, since it is a Cinco De Mayo theme, the final topping is a couple of the Spanish language candy hearts called Dulce Corazons. I'm using 12 boxes of cake mix, so I think I will plan on using 12 bags of powdered sugar, better too much than not enough. So that will be six batches. No problem! (ha ha)

I couldn't remember how much sugar it took to frost 24 cupcakes, because, like it sounds like some of you do, I just make more or less as needed, but I realized I needed to be more exact to plan ahead with this many. Your advice is going to save me some time!

I'm baking and freezing the cupcakes tomorrow. I have five huge pastry bags to pipe with, and four good friends who have offered to help the day before the reception. I purchased a "cupcake tree" which will hold all of the cupcakes, and I am having fun decorating that.

Thanks again for your advice. This website is AWESOME!
Andrea

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:11am
post #9 of 18

oh please post them I just love to see cupcakes icon_smile.gif

deesquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesquared Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 18

Thank goodness you don't have to colour the icing! icon_smile.gif

And thank goodness you have four good friends to help you!

Good luck to you with the wedding.

Dianna

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #11 of 18

What! you have a cupcake tree that will hold 200 cupcakes! am i hearing (reading) this right!? if you do than im way jealous! icon_mad.gif . But if the frosting had to be colored the best way would to color by airbrushing and if you do not have an air brush, wilton makes these arisol cans will coloring on them that are pretty usefull thumbs_up.gif

Avocet Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:32am
post #12 of 18

I don't know if it's okay to name products, but, yes, I got a cardboard tree that is supposed to hold 300 cupcakes from a place called www.cupcaketree.com. It's awesome!

I did try the Wilton spray on coloring, but I didn't like it for this occasion. The colors were too bright for what my daughter wants. But they worked great, and now I have some for future projects icon_smile.gif.

Well, I baked the three hundred and twelve cupcakes today and I feel like I've run a marathon! I will try to post photos after the big event next weekend, thanks again for everyone's interest!

Andrea

Avocet Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:02am
post #13 of 18

Hello again! It's been awhile, but I thought I'd come back and update anyone interested in the results of my daughter's 300 cupcake wedding reception! The cupcakes were delicious. They all fit in the freezer section of my kitchen fridge. My mother-in-law and sis-in-law helped me frost them. It only took a couple of hours to do with a big star tip and a buttercream frosting. I think I ended up using about eight bags of powdered sugar but I honestly forget now! At the last minute we threw together a funky two layer cake and used a Dia De Los Muertes (Day of the Dead) cake topper, since it was a Cinco De Mayo fiesta themed wedding. The reason I'm posting today is that someone finally sent me the one and only picture of the cupcake tree.......pretty funky and not very elegant, but it was fun and everyone enjoyed the cupcakes! Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice and support!
LL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 10:03am
post #14 of 18

They look very nice! Great job!

patrica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrica Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 12:10am
post #15 of 18

AVery nice my sister 25th anniversary is coming and im doing 300 cupcakes so wish me good luck i did my own cupcakes stand someone can tell my the cream cheese frosting and if you know how much i would need for my cupcakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%