Are Gumpaste Flowers Edible?

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 14 May 2006 , 11:45am by dky

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 5

I bought a few from a cake deco store near me. It says they are made out of gumpaste & sugar. Although the packages are nice and clean & the flowers look great they look like they've been there a while. How long are these good for?
Also if i make my own buttercream flowers, how long are they good for? Should i freeze them? or regular fridge is fine?

thanks,
Kat

4 replies
spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

Funny you should ask......See the other thread. Gumpaste vs twins!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 May 2006 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 5

GP flowers are edible, mostly sugar. they taste crunchy and a little sweet. I have tasted several to be sure. the only risk it wired flowers. these are considered decorations and should not be eaten.

Buttercream flowers (crisco not butter) are good for quite a long time. They can be air dryed or frozen. For very short term the fridge is OK, but there is added risk of picking up refrigerator odors.

If you are using very bright colors, I would not freeze them. there is a small risk of bleeding if condensation forms when they thaw. Otherwise they are fine. When frozen, they are easy to place.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 10 May 2006 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 5

good to know......I never knew that about buttercream flowers. icon_smile.gif

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 14 May 2006 , 11:45am
post #5 of 5

They are technically edible and last forever but they taste like ####. Very crunchy and not much flavour but yes technically edible.

k

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%