Fire Helmet

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 7 May 2005 , 4:14am by Loucinda

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 26

Hi all! I am looking for some inspiration for a 3-D firemans helmet. I will be making a "his" and a "hers" shower cake for Memorial Day weekend. He is a fire marshall and she is an engineer designing sprinkler systems for new buildings. I thought I'd make him a helmet and unless I come up with something unique i'll make her something more traditional. Any suggestions for the "her" cake? If anyone has any links to a firemans helmet cake i'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Debbie

25 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 26

Ok found some things...
This is a blog from http://www.weddingbasics.com/cakes/groom.asp

Quote:
Quote:

Posted by: Renee J from Brenham, TX on 4/21/2005 7:24:56 AM
Idea for the fire helmet. I did a cake that the cake was just square and the fire helmet is made from candy melts. Use a toy helmet to mold and rice paper for the emblem.

Here's a pic http://www.cakesbysam.com/images/Wedding_Cakepics/Firehat.jpg

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 26

Thanks m0use! It's amazing - i can always find pictures until i actually need them!

Debbie

m0use Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 26

icon_lol.gif Don't ya hate it when that happens! icon_wink.gif

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 26

All the time! Good thing for CakeCentral!

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 26

What if you baked in a rounded pyrex bowl and carved that out for the hat....maybe attaching a candy mold for the front part and decorating it? for her cake you could do a small cake and maybe put water drops around the side of the cake or something.

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 26

I was thinking of using my pampered chef bowl to bake in. Not quite sure how to do the rim or the front yet. I'm waiting for a picture of his actual helmet to copy the front. A chocolate transfer would probably work well for that.

Thanks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 26

..could you use a modified version of the rim of the cowboy hat you did to make the rim of the fire helmet? Also, for the woman...it seems to me that the idea of of a "shower cake" and "sprinkler system" could be tied together..just not sure of "how". If something hits me I'll let you know or maybe it will "spark" (no pun intended) someone else's creativity!!

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 26

I'm going to look for a play fire hat to use as a template for the rim of the hat. Thanks...

I can't come up with anything for the sprinkler system - I just keep thinking fire extinguisher and that seems more "his" than "hers". What do you think?

m0use Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 26

Light bulb came on...take a sheet cake, use fondant or something to make a blue print of a building that has a diagram where the sprinkler system is going to be installed and then on the sides have sprinkler heads on it with drops of water coming out of them.

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 26

That might work - do you think it would be "hers" enough for a shower?

m0use Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 26

Well, maybe to make it more feminine, instead of making the blueprint blue, make it pink icon_confused.gif
Have the sprinkler system be near the top edge of the sides and have them sprinkling flowers along the bottom. Including a pic here to help you 'picture' it in your mind.
LL

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 26

thumbs_up.gif Thanks!

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 4 May 2005 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 26

OK...go to www.cakesbysam.com and click on cake galleries, then grooms cakes. Scroll down and you will see a fireman hat she did...yellow I think...looks really good, maybe will give you an idea of how to carve the cake or whatever.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2005 , 4:32am
post #15 of 26

Jscakes or Sgirvan did a construction hat. I can't remember which one did it! If you look in their galleries you'll find it. I'll see & then come back & let you know who did it~

tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2005 , 4:37am
post #16 of 26

IT WAS SGIRVAN!!! She did a wonderful job on it! Why not PM her.~

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 5 May 2005 , 5:09am
post #17 of 26

Thanks turtleshell,

Yes I did the construction hat and it was very easy to do. I used my pyrex bowl to bake the cake, torted and filled with chocolate cream then covered with chocolate BC and MM fondant. I made the brim of the hat using MM fondant. It is best to have the hat in front of you or a picture. The contruction hat was pretty simple to do and I would imagine that the firehat would be along the same lines.
LL

tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2005 , 5:17am
post #18 of 26

I knew if you saw this post you would post your pic. Your so sweet!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 May 2005 , 9:04am
post #19 of 26

That is very neat, Sgirvan! I'll have to save that one for future reference! Good job! Janice

thecakemaker Posted 5 May 2005 , 12:25pm
post #20 of 26

Thank you everyone! You're great!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:45pm
post #21 of 26

I found this one today - not sure if it is what you're looking for, but I thought of this post when I saw the cake!

http://webmall1.com/sweetdreams/pic248.htm

thecakemaker Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:53pm
post #22 of 26

Thanks Quadcrew! I hadn't seen that one yet. It's a great idea!

There is one more I'm looking for that I haven't been able to find. I remember a 3-D black fire helmet cake that was very realistic.

Thanks again!
Debbie

m0use Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:21pm
post #24 of 26

Wow, that is cool! thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 6 May 2005 , 11:27pm
post #25 of 26

I am so glad this topic was brought back up thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif Yes, I agree w/ bringing things back up.... Just not silly questions icon_biggrin.gif

I'm doing a Fire Dept 20th Anniversary cake or cakes in August. Those are some good looking cakes!! Love em'!! Thanks for posting those websites!! thumbs_up.gif

Newbies help out tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2005 , 4:14am
post #26 of 26

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%