Luster Dust

Decorating By Minta Updated 2 May 2007 , 8:56pm by darkchocolate

Minta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minta Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 19

I am having a hard time painting with luster dust either it is too thick or it is too thin. Do I apply coat on top of coat to get the painted affect? How much liquid is needed? HELP!!!!!

18 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 19

What are you trying to paint and what kind of liquid are you using?

I actually prefer to use luster dust dry -- I have a big poofy cosmetic brush that I use to dust with and the effects are very nice.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 19

just add a couple drops at a time, until it's thick like paint, but not clumpy. i just use vanilla, but others use lemon extract or vodka. and keeps mixing it periodically, cuz it likes to separate.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 19

I have a question about this too. I went to Hobby Lobby last night to buy some and they didn't have any. Where can I get it?

I want to 'paint' a crown made out of fondant with it. Is this possible? It's in the process of drying. Do I wait until it's dry to paint? I guess it may be too late for that question - so can I paint it when it's dry? would be a better question. Also, I don't want to change the color of the fondant, is there one that's just 'clear' or maybe silver or white? ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

kelleym Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 19

Hobby Lobby and Michaels don't carry luster dusts. You can get them at a cake decorating supply store, or right here on Cake Central:

http://shop.cakecentral.com/-c-61.html

If you paint your fondant while it's still a little moist, the luster dust sticks better. If you're not looking to add color, just shine, I like super pearl or antique silk.

MandyE Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks Kelleym! Who makes the super pearl? Can I buy that a cake supply store too or only here? I need it for tomorrow, so buying online is not an option. And since my fondant is already dry, do I just dust on dry, or do I wet it with vodka or extract and 'paint' it on.

Appreciate the help! icon_biggrin.gif

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 19

Wilton now has luster dust in 6 colors: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Pearl, Yellow and pink. The Michaels in my city just started carrying it on Monday. It may take a few days to a week for other stores to carry it.

kelleym Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 19

The Super Pearl that I bought at my cake decorating supply store is made by CK South Inc. Yes, you can still brush it on dry, or you can add a little vodka and paint it. I find the wet-painting method tends to be a little streaky, so I would try it dry first and see what you think. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 19

try AC MOORE store if you have one in your area

MandyE Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to call a couple of cake supply stores right now.

MandyE Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 19

kelleym - do you have an example of how it looks when put on dry? I tried to go look at some of you pics, but the website is not cooperating with me.

Minta Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 19

I was trying to cover these white chocolate maddllions but because I could not get the amount of liquid right I then used a brush kind of like you would use for blush and dusted each one. I wanted to know for the future projects what the method of doing this was. I appreciate everyone's comments and instructions. Thanks

kelleym Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 19

The swags on this cake were dry brushed with antique silk.
LL

MandyE Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 19

Beautiful cake! That is perfect for what I want to do. I basically just have this crown that looks so blah because fondant dries so dull, you know? I just want to shine it up a bit. I found some pearl dust at a cake supply store, so I"m going to hit it on my way home.

Thanks again for all your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Minta Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #15 of 19

That is a beautiful cake.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 10:38pm
post #16 of 19

kelleym,

First of all, your cake is just beautiful! I have a loop bow that is almost dry that I want to use my Luster Dust on. You mentioned the Luster Dust adhering better before the fondant dries. It is too late for me, so should I slightly moistened my loops before I apply the Luster Dust?

Thanks,
darkchocolate

kelleym Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 19

If they are really dry, I would apply the dust with some vodka (or other clear alcohol) and a paintbrush.

MandyE Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:03pm
post #18 of 19

I added my finished cake to my photos if anyone is interested in looking. Thanks again for all your help (especially kelleym!).

darkchocolate - if you look at my pic, my crown was completely dry when I applied the pearl dust and that's the result I got (just FYI).

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:56pm
post #19 of 19

Mandy,

Your cake looks great!

darkchocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%