Royal Icing 101 Please!

Decorating By siealy Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 1:27pm by siealy

siealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siealy Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:32am
post #1 of 9

I have a BIG graduation order coming up and I wanted to make some decorations out of RI. How far in advance can you make the decorations? How should you store them once they are made? Should they be kept in the freezer? Any other tips you could offer I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance! icon_wink.gif

8 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #2 of 9

I have stored my RI decos for AGES. I just put em in a container in a cupboard. Every now and then the kids will find them and eat a few, but hey, they are kids...lol. I usually make them a couple weeks in advance.
Here's my recipe for RI that is unbeatable:
3 1/2c powdered sugar
4 egg whites at room temp
2 tbs lemon juice
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Beat the egg whites till stiff but not dry, add PS and Cream of Tartar a little at a time, mixing thouroughly after every addition. When all sugar has been added, mix in lemon juice to make icing the consistency you want. The lemon juice makes a HUGE difference, don't leave it out!! Just use your judgement to use the whole 2 tbs or not.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #3 of 9

Royal icing decorations last forever! Don't freeze or refrigerate them because the condensation will mess them up. Just keep them in an airtight container with some papertowels or tissues to keep them from bumping around and breaking. I usually try to finish at least one week in advance to make sure they are completely dry. That depends on how thick your decorations will be. The earlier the better just in case.

-Rezzy

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:52am
post #4 of 9

They will out live you

I always make flowers in advance and keep them on hand in case I get a last minute cake

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #5 of 9

Will royal icing decorations last on a buttercream cake from Fri am until Sat pm?

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:57am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Will royal icing decorations last on a buttercream cake from Fri am until Sat pm?

Yep, I've never had a problem!

By the way, I really miss my Golden...she died 2 weeks ago icon_sad.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the response!

I am so sorry for your loss. I know I am going to be facing the same thing soon--my furry boy is going to be 15 in July. So far, his only problem is hypothyroid, but we can handle that.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

They will out live you

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif this are the type of things you never have another use for but feel sorry to throw away, so they stay in they in your kitchen, ready for a cake that will never come.
I always make extras of all my decorations that I never use again....

There is one tip...even if the RI decorations are dry, don't put them next to fat, as in buttercream, they will brake down, so if you need to do so, separate them by using a bit of fondant were it touches with the buttercream

siealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siealy Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much. Sounds like I need to get busy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%