Posted Pics Of My 1St Cake!

Decorating By jayme1980 Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 1:22pm by Hippiemama

jayme1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayme1980 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:29am
post #1 of 10

I need practice and didn't have time to do what I orginally wanted for decorations but it tasted great and I did learn a lot already just from one cake!

I also have a couple questions. How do I get that straight sides look? Should I trim the sides to make sure they are all even? Also why do the layers show through the frosting...it's not the filling bulging. Should I have made sure the dam was closer to the edges?

Please feel free to critique!

9 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:32am
post #2 of 10

Honestly I would have never noticed the bulges unless you told me, that cake looks REALLY yummy, you did a GREAT job, be proud of yourself!!!

siealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siealy Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #3 of 10

Looks delicious! And alot better than my first cake I might add. Congratulations.

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:37am
post #4 of 10

What a lovely cake! Way to go - beautiful!

As for the layers showing through the frosting... if you refrigerate the cake and let it settle for awhile after filling the layers, but before frosting it, you shouldn't have the bulge. Hopefully that will help. thumbs_up.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:38am
post #5 of 10

wow....that looks great and really good too. It makes me hungry for german chocolate cake. Your icing looks really nice and smooth!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #6 of 10

I didn't see any bulges and as far as straight sides make sure your layers are even on top. You may need to trim some of the excess off the top to keep them from being rounded. Your cake looks really good and I would love to be eating a piece of that right now!!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:46am
post #7 of 10

You did a great job I could not see flaws and it looks yummy.

I will tell you this, because I went to a cake stacking class on Monday night.

The teacher used a combination of cake crumbs and BC he called it mortar (I would say about 3/4 cup cake that he crumbs up and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of BC) He used this for the dam and it was really yummy and more stable than just buttercream itself.
Then he said if your cake it not even you trim it.
After this he crumbcoated the sides with more of the mortar and the top he used plain BC.
It turned out really nice.

Good Luck.

jayme1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayme1980 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone! Nope, there were no bulges, just for some reason I can see where the layers are. I think it's because I didn't put the dam close enough to the edges.

Gateaux, thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif I actually saw a Food Network show the other day where she did something like this! Seems like a great idea!

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:56am
post #9 of 10

Looks great! Hard to believe it's your first cake. I bet everyone loved it! mmmm chocolate.

As far as the sides go, I use my dough scraper to make sure the sides are straight. I place it against the icing and turn the turntable completely around. If I see any spots that aren't straight I fill it in and do it again. If you are using a crusting icing you have to do it as soon as you get it iced.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 10

Looks yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%