Freezing Satin Ice Fondant?

Decorating By sherik Updated 9 May 2006 , 2:52am by bikegal

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 8 May 2006 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 6

I just ordered 60 pounds os Satin Ice Fondant, 40# white and 20# dark chocolate. The company says it can be frozen and refrigerated.
Has anyone had experience with freezing this product? If so, how did it come out?
Thanks
Sheri

5 replies
manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 8 May 2006 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 6

sorry i don't anything about handling satin ice but i saw this product over the weekend in kitchen kapers. how does it taste?

thanks,
manya

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 9 May 2006 , 1:20am
post #3 of 6

I have never heard of freezing fondant (to preserve)...? If you freeze a fondant cake, it will turn gummy... Are you concerned about storing it? I just finished up a 60# tub - I keep it wrapped in the plastic, and in it's original container, in my pantry, and it never dried out. On their website, it says you can store it in a cool/dry place for 6-12 months. I love this product - I think it tastes the best.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 9 May 2006 , 1:46am
post #4 of 6

On www.satinfinefoods.com the makers say you can freeze and refrigerate Satin Ice in tubs or on a cake. I have never tried this because I always heard the sticky, gummy results. I was concerned about storage. If I notice any change in the consistancy I will seal it with my food saver.
This will be my first experience with something other than Wilton fondant. I don't like the taste of WF.

DoubleODanish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleODanish Posted 9 May 2006 , 1:54am
post #5 of 6

Freezing fondant is not a problem. I usually make my own and always store it in the freezer, wrapped in plastic wrap and then in a ziploc bag. When I need it, I simply move it to the fridge the night before and then out to the counter the morning of to let it come to room temp. Don't unwrap it until it's thawed out and any condensation will simply form on the plastic wrap and not on the fondant. Not a big deal. The Cake Bible and Toba Garrett's cake book both recommend freezing fondant for long term storage.

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:52am
post #6 of 6

sherik, I would trust Satin Ice. I'm sure they've tested tons of fondant before putting that information on their website and brochures. If you're still unsure give Lillian a call at Satin Ice, she can answer all your questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%