Need Hands For A Massage Therapy Cake.

Decorating By CarolAnn Updated 4 May 2005 , 7:30am by tcturtleshell

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:04am
post #1 of 8

I am doing a full sheet cake Friday for my employer's open house on Saturday. I work at a massage therapy clinic. She wants hands on the cake and right now I have no ideas. I don't really want to just use flat hands. I haven't done a bct and don't have time to learn that between now and then. Any ideas? I've thought about looking in Printmaster for some nice hands and having the Wal Mart bakery put them on a frosting sheet for me. They'll do it for $5. They have some neat ceramic hands at work that are together like they're holding something out to you. That'd be better than having flat hands.
Suggestions?

7 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

I made my first hands out fondant. it's in the mothers day contest photos. they may not be the best, but it worked out for me. I just added a little of brown dye to white fondant until I came up with a color that looked real. I then got a piece of fondant rolled it out to the length and width of my finger and just molded to to look like a finger. Once I got all the fingers made I got a toothpick and added the lines. I also got a big ball of fondant rolled it out and pressed it against my palm to make the palm the right size. Then I placed the fingers on the palm by dipping my finger in water and rubbing it on the palm piece. I then added little balls of fondant for the knuckles and then placed another piece of fondant on top of that to hide where I added the fingers and knuckles. I did the same for the top piece, I just pressed it against my palm to make it fit. again rub it with water to hide where I attached the fingers and added knuckles. I placed the hand on some foil I wadded up to make it look like it was resting. to give it that bend look. Hope this made sense and helped a little..Good Luck!!

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:25am
post #3 of 8

i would do the walmart idea...haha im lazy!!

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:33am
post #4 of 8

I searched the web for healing hands images and fount these...

http://images.google.com/images?q=healing%20hands&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

there are 10 pages of hand pics.
LL

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:41am
post #5 of 8

Healing hands is the term I was trying to think of!! I am going right to that site to look right after I go look a Briansbaker's mother's day cake entry. That's wayyyy too much trouble for this cake but I'm dying to see what you did! I expect I'll find a pic I like and have Wally World do it for me. Next time hopefully I'll be able to make my own edible image.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8

Can I add a suggestion? I made hands using the smallest gloves from a doctor's office, or hospital, dusted if you can call it that the inside with cornstarch, then used melted almond bark to fill it slightly. As it cooled, I layed it over the top of my hand for the curved effect, worked really well. For filling the glove, I used a turkey baster, that way you can fill each finger to the exact amount you need. Be very careful removing the glove, I snipped the edges and cut when needed and it peeled away clean.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:21am
post #7 of 8

I am dying to get rating on my mothers day cake. To be honest I have gotten different opinions in the making and the finished product..some i won't share..LOL take that as a bad opinion..sigh
But I tried..

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:30am
post #8 of 8

Carol, I think the pic would be a nice thing for the cake. Just think once you get your printer you'll be making all kinds of printable cakes!! I can't wait to see them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%