Is This Done Freehand Or Is A Cutter Used?

Decorating By Marvelous Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 1:52pm by Omicake

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 27

Hello all

Absolutely beautiful design but I'm not sure who the decorator is. If it is someone here on CC I'm sorry I couldn't name you!!

I'm not looking to replicate the design I'm just wondering, are those swirl designs shaped and cut freehand or is there a cutter or some kind of tool used to make them? I've seen them around often and they're always so perfect and uniformly shaped.
If there are made using tools, does anyone know where to order them?

Thanks so much everyone.
LL

26 replies
Marvelous Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 27

Suggestions or observational guesses even? detective.gif

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 27

Gee, I don't know but I'm curious too.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 27

I'm not sure what was used here but Stephen Benison (sp?) makes scroll cutters. Go to globalsugarart.com and there is a direct link to his stuff on the left. You might find something there. HTH and good luck finding it! icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 27

I don't know, but my guess would be that maybe a template was used. The scrolls don't look like they were made with a cutter to me. But I'm no expert and can be totally off the mark here.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 27

That is a very pretty cake! I'd like to know too!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 27

ooooh-- I love the border too!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 27

Help and replies much appreciated everyone

Thanks so much for the link Lennette and another thanks to Fooby for tracking down helipops!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 27

If I were to do them I would probably try to do them freehand. That is what it looks like to me but I am not sure.. icon_confused.gif

Marvelous Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 27

For those who wanted to know, the place suggested by Lennette (globalsugarart.com) Does contain swirl cutters and custom made shapes that are very much like the ones in that wonderful cake by Helipops icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 27

That's really pretty. Thanks for posting!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 27

while waiting for her reply on the REAL way she did it...i'll take my guess. it really isnt hard to make a swirl out of a stip. i'd cut strips of fondant - not symetric, meaning one end narrower than the other. wet the back and then curl it as you place it on the side. the circles look like simple round cutters. inexpensive and easy to attain those. now i am curious to see how she really did it. that cake rocks!

Marvelous Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 27

Since everyone is as curious as I am I've messaged Helipops and asked her to drop by here on the this forum post to hopefully share her technique.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 27

I saw something similar on a cake done on the Food Network show "Sugar Rush."

They took small pieces of fondant, then rolled them into a rope shape, took that and shaped it into the scroll type shape they wanted and then flattened it and put it on the cake. I'll see if I can find the cake.

ETA: It was Very Different Cakes. Here's the link to their site: http://www.verydifferentcakes.com/ When the page comes up, click on the black box in the upper left corner that says "VDC on TV" and it's a clip from when they were on Sugar Rush. It's a little hard to see, but I can't find another picture of that cake.

helipops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helipops Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:07am
post #16 of 27

All I can say is WOW, what a compliment this is! I just got the message tonight and this is my very first time posting in the forum, so far I have just been posting pictures. Well, there is no secret behind these swirls. I did do them freehand. Someone commented about the circles, they of course were cut with the circle set and the name brand was Ateco. For the swirls, I cut strips of fondant, then I would start at one end (very edge of the strip and run my cutting wheel (you can even use a pizza cutter) along till I almost reached the other corner. You can play with the pieces a bit to get the width you like, but overall the bottom end will be wide and it will get increasingly smaller all the way up. I then curled it however I wanted to and let it sit for approx. 5-10 min. and then put it on the cake. Hopefully this helps and if you have any questions please let me know, thanks again, Helen

Marvelous Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:23am
post #17 of 27

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and a special thankyou and hello to Helipops! Welcome to the boards, super having you drop by icon_lol.gif

helipops Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #18 of 27

thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #19 of 27

Marvelous, thanks for asking the question and then PM'ing helipops.

Helipops, thanks for taking the time to join us on this post and for answering that question for us.

helipops Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 27

Oh it was my pleasure, thanks againicon_smile.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:41pm
post #21 of 27

Great cake!!!
Thanks for the explanation helipops.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:51pm
post #22 of 27

Thanks, Marvelous for starting this thread!!

helipops, your cake is gorgeous!! Could you also possibly comment on how you did the wire decoration coming out of the top, and if you have any hints to pass along (type and gauge of wire, things to look out for if you're trying it for the first time,etc).

Thanks!
Michele

helipops Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:07am
post #23 of 27

I emailed someone these directions this morning, although I feel that I tend to confuse people more than help them, but here they are and feel free to ask any other questions:
I have noticed the more sprays I have done, the easier it is getting for me. I think you can use most wire gauges. I used an 18 gauge wire for this cake, the lower the number, the heavier the wire. I think what gauge you use should depend on the weight of the piece you are putting on the end. It also depends on the look you are going for. Sometimes I will combine different gauges in a spray too. The thinner wire will usually make things look like they are flopping around a bit and that sometimes can look really nice. When I started bending the wire, the mistake I would make would be to put my hands on the parts where I would want the bends, which would give me a kinked wire look. So, now I will hold one end and run the wire through my thumb and forefinger of the other hand. Run your fingers fast along the wire, you will feel it warm up a bit, so then you can curve it out a bit towards the top to start curving the wire, once I do that I take the ends of the wire in each hand (looks like the shape of a rainbow) then I bring my hands closer together. You will see the top start to bend a bit, don't bend too much or you will get a kink in it. THen just move your hands in different positions around the wire and let it bend like the rainbow position. When you get to the center of your curl, I take one hand and make a purposeful kink in the end. Then you are left with about a 2" piece where you put your ball or whatever you are making on the end. I do play with it alot, if the curl is too big, I will just push it together a bit. Don't worry if you get kinks in certain parts, just use your fingers again and warm up that part and push the kink out. I am awful at explaining certain things, so let me know if you have any questions. This is very easy to do and only takes a few min. to do each curl.
For the sprays I do that are not all curled up, I just do the first part of the directions and warm the wire with my two fingers and bend it a bit at the top. Hope this is of some help

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:13am
post #24 of 27

Thank you, helipops, for taking the time to explain all that! The tip about "warming" the wire makes sense, and I probably would never have thought of that. I'm going to give it a try soon.

Thanks again,
Michele

helipops Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:17am
post #25 of 27

you are so welcom icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:28pm
post #26 of 27

Welcome to the boards Helen! You cake is wonderful! THanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 1:52pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks for posting. The cake is so pretty and different!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%