Between Baking So Many Cakes And....

Decorating By jen1977 Updated 9 May 2006 , 7:55pm by cakegal

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 11

This scrambled eggs with cheese phase that my boys are going thru right now, I may as well go buy some chickens! I'm going thru a ton og=f eggs, and get tired of running to the store just to get eggs. I usually buy two dozen at a time, but I'm flying thru them!

10 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 11

Wal-Mart has a 5 dozen box for about $4.00. I buy at least 2 every 2 weeks.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 11

I've seen them, but I'm afraid that as soon as I buy a box that big, I won't use them before they expire, and I'll have to toss them. Guess I could make a few angel food cakes if they get close to the date. I may have to buy a big box and see what happens.

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 11

I go through eggs like crazy too. My hubby eats around 5 hardboiled a day. I usually buy around 5 dozen a week. I buy mine at Sam's club for the same price as WalMart. I cannot bring myself to pay $2.00 a dozen at the market.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 8 May 2006 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 11

You can freeze them, I think. Can't remember the exact instructions, but you could do a quick google search...

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 8 May 2006 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 11

Here's a link for freezing raw eggs. I haven't tried it myself though. Let us know if it works for you.

http://www.eggs.ab.ca/about/handling.htm

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2006 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 11

I buy my eggs at Super Walmart. They sell 18 count eggs 2 for $2 or $1 per 18ct.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 8 May 2006 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittisKakes

Here's a link for freezing raw eggs. I haven't tried it myself though. Let us know if it works for you.

http://www.eggs.ab.ca/about/handling.htm

thanks a lot for that link, I've printed out the instructions and I'll try it. wow it's a great thing to know!!!

have a nice day
Lorris

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 8 May 2006 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 11

Eggs are good past the exp. date- I use them for a couple weeks after. The following is from the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) website on eggs and exp dates:

Always purchase eggs before the "Sell-By" or "EXP" (expiration) date on the carton. After the eggs reach home, they may be refrigerated 3 to 5 weeks from the day they are placed in the refrigerator. The "Sell-By" date will usually expire during that length of time, but the eggs are perfectly safe to use. This date is not federally required, but may be State required.

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 8 May 2006 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 11

To check if an egg is still good, place it in a bowl of water. If it floats it is bad.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 9 May 2006 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 11

I buy farm fresh brown eggs....i pay $1.00 a dozen...and my cakes are so light and moist....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%