Dukes Of Hazzard General Lee

Decorating By rigama Updated 7 May 2006 , 3:09pm by rigama

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 7 May 2006 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

I guess the title says it all, huh?

I'm doing a last minute order for a bday cake shaped like the General Lee. I did a photo search and found some wonderful pictures, and decided to go ahead and make a 3-d instead of the wilton race car with flag pan. It may have been a mistake, though, since the only car I can get a hold of is the Wilton 3 D Cruiser. It looks NOTHING like the General Lee! I'm doing a trial run now and I'm going to try and shave off some of the front and back to give it a more boxy look. But I would love love love suggestions on how I could sculpt it out of a 9X13. I have this going out the door on Tuesday, so ordering the Nascar pan set is (aside from being very UN cost effective) not an option.

Tips? Hints? Ideas?

Thanks!
Rigama

3 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 7 May 2006 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not too good with the cake carving...not really a sculptor but one thing that's worked for me is to stack cakes to the height I need. Then I cut a template of the profile I need. The template would be of the side of the car if I were doing one. I lay the template against the side of the cake and cut around it. Then I have the basic shape and all I have to do is fine-tune it. I hope that made sense icon_razz.gif . Not sure if I explained it well enough icon_smile.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 7 May 2006 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 4

I would do just like you thought you should do - shave off some of the front and back end of the 3D pan. I don't think reinventing the wheel (no pun intended) by trying to carve it out of a sheet pan is going to work for your timeline.

Good luck and lets see some photos!

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 7 May 2006 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 4

icon_lol.gif Too bad that pun wasn't intended, Delights...I love puns!

Yes, I'm hoping the shaving off thing works...It would be so much easier than having to start from scratch. I guess I'll know later on today how it goes.

And Lisa, you made perfect sense when you described the template. That's a really great idea.

Thanks so much guys!
Rigama

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%