Has Anyone Done An Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 8:22pm by TooMuchCake

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone done or know how to do an ice cream cake? I don't want any cake in it, just all ice cream but I want to decorate it with something. Do I use buttercream or is there something else? How do you get the ice cream from melting while you are decorating the cake?

6 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

It's easiest to use whipped topping like Pastry Pride or Rich's Bettercream. You have to work in stages so that the ice cream doesn't melt. Frost, then stick in freezer, do borders, stick in freezer, etc. HTH! Good luck!

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 7

I use to work with celebration cakes based primarily in ice-cream. What use to happen is we use to place a very thin layer of cake at the base of the icecream because what happens when you don't is the cake will slip slide around everywhere as you try to ice it! And you don't want to be touching or bumping it back in place once you get the icing smooth so keep that in mind. You do have to work quickly because being so near to the cake, your body heat has a big effect on how fast it melts and once it does melt...you'll have the color of the icecream smudging into your icing. What we use to use at our shop is Rich's Whip Topping. It tastes great and never freezes solid so you won't break a tooth on it! icon_biggrin.gif

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

Or you could go the super easy route and get a plain ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. (i worked there when I was a teen) and the cakes were kept frozen at -25 to keep them from melting when we decorated them, and we still had to work fast.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 7

I can't find Pastry Pride or Rich's in my area. I live in Massachusetts, Boston area. Does anyone know what else I can use?

learnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnee Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 7

I would use a thin layer of cake as the base. I also use a good quality ice cream... The one that doesn't crystalize after re-freezing it.
After taking the frozen cake from the mold, then I decorate it fast. Just make sure all your equipments are cold, your room temp is cold enough and that all your decorating materials are ready. This way you can work as fast.

I usually use whipped cream (w/ stabilizer or gelatin) to decorate. I've used swiss buttercream as well and it worked well.

good luck!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 7

I used to work as a cake decorator for a chain of ice cream stores here in the South, and while our ice cream cakes also included layers of cake, we offered a choice of either Rich's Bettercream or chocolate ganache coverings. I prefered the ganache. thumbs_up.gif

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%