Price For Sugar Cookies?

Baking By jdelectables Updated 5 May 2006 , 3:58pm by marmar

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 5 May 2006 , 4:37am
post #1 of 7

Hi, all ~
What do you all charge for decorated sugar cookies? Thanks!
Julie

6 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 7

anyone?

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Julie, where are you in Ohio? I'm in Marietta, Ohio and I charge $5.50/dz for regular sugar cookie with basic decorations and for extensive decoration I charge $7.00/dz. I hope this helps.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

I think it depends on where you live but I made Easter Cookies and charged $1.50 a piece. The customer actually made her own cookies and gave them to me to decorate so I would have chared a bit higher if I had to make them. They were pretty big.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 7

I charge $7.50 a dozen.....I find them to be a lot of work!!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

Ok, you guys are going to think I am nuts but depending on the cookies I charge $25.00 for 12 cookies. If they are in a cookie bouquet I charge $25.00 for seven cookies. Now having said that, I can't say that everyone wants to PAY that much but I do have a few regular customers. I just feels like they take just as long if not longer than a cake so I might as well get paid for it. Hope this helps some.

marmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmar Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 7

Any websites I've seen www.beautifulcookies.com , www.cookiesbydesign.com, elenis's in NYC (don't know address) all charge at least $2.50 per cookie (eleni has some that are $10.00!!).
They are a lot of work, if you do flooding and details. If you just sprinkle them with sugars, I can see that you'd charge less, but if you do all the time-consuming details, then you are undercharging at $7.50 a dozen.

I don't know how much ingredients cost where you are, but butter is very expensive for me, so is running my oven, so is all the time I spend decorating. There is also down time, where you have to wait for one layer to dry before you can add details.

$7.50 divided by 12 cookies is 63 cents! COokies cost me about 40 cents each, so you you are making a grand total profit of 23 cents per cookie!!! For all that work! WAIT!! I haven't even included lollipop sticks, a container, cello bags, cello wrap for the basket, ribbon etc. I would venture that you are either breaking even at those prices, possibly even losing money.

If it's a hobby and you're just practicing, okay you don't need a lot of profit. If, later, you decide to do it as a bit of a money maker, you'll have a hard time raising those prices to where they should be.

Decorated cookies are considered gourmet, so at this point, they should be more expensive. Plain Choc. Chip cookies from my supermarket bakery cost about $6 a dozen.

Please don't undersell yourself. Check out the websites - it will boost your confidence. Even at $2 or $2.50 per cookie, yours would be a bargain! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%