Need Fondant Help Asap Please!

Decorating By gapger Updated 5 May 2006 , 12:06am by Rodneyck

gapger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gapger Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 7

K' I think I have done a huge mistake. I baked and frosted the cake yesterday and put fondant on it today, Thursday. Now what is the best way to keep it soft enough to eat til Saturday? Fridge, counter, box, air tight? I did not think about this part of it.

I would love any advice!?
thanks
~Gwen

6 replies
lkuptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkuptain Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

I've left cakes that were too big to put into an airtight container in a box for a few days with no problems at all. I think the fondant helps keep the moisture in the cake. If your cake is small enough to put in an airtight box, I would do that. Don't put it in the fridge....the fondant will sweat when you take it out!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with lkuptain. The fondant is acting as a sealant for your cake, so it should be fine at room temp until Saturday. Don't put it in the refrigerator -- fondant just doesn't refrigerate well.

gapger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gapger Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks I better take them out of the fridge icon_wink.gif

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 7

What type of fondant are you using. I refrigerate cakes covered in fondx for several days and it does fine. I think it depends on the type. There was a post a while ago about satin ice fondant and whether it could be refrigerated.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 7

Your filling doesn't need to be refrigerated, right?
If your filling doesn't need to be refrigerated, then you should be fine leaving the cake out at room temp covered.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:06am
post #7 of 7

As long as there is a fair amount of sugar in your cake's fillings and frostings, you should be fine leaving it out of the refrigerator for a few days. Sugar is a natural preservative.

You never want to put fondant in the fridge, because depending on weather conditions and temps inside your kitchen, etc., you risk causing condensation forming on and underneath the fondant from the sudden temperature. Moisture can ruin a good fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%