Mmf Versus Buttercream

Decorating By safetymom Updated 6 May 2006 , 5:54pm by lisascakes

safetymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
safetymom Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:45am
post #1 of 17

I need opinions please. I'm going to attempt my daughter's wedding cake and she likes the look of the MMF, but is wondering if most people will just peal it off. Have any of you been to a wedding where they served fondant, and if so, did most people eat it? Or did you hear any comments pro or con? We don't want to sacrifice taste just for the sake of looks. Thanks for your opinions!

16 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:54am
post #2 of 17

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this as well.

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:07am
post #3 of 17

I've not tried it (YET!) myself, but I've read everywhere that MMF is quite tastey.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:11am
post #4 of 17

From reading past posts-Regular fondant, like Wilton's is just plain gross-alot has seen guests peel it off and eat only the cake. They say to add extracts like vanilla and such or a combination to the Wilton fondant and it will taste better. But, I'm no pro! I also seen posts saying that MMF on taste is way better. You should try a small trial run cake with MMF and see how it tastes to you. Good luck! ~Josie icon_smile.gif

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:15am
post #5 of 17

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I have actually used the MMF on a wedding cake- the one in my photos that doesn't look like a wedding cake- pink and green polka dots and stripes......anyway- I flavored it with Irish Creme coffee flavor- and it was Awesome!! People actually ate it. I can't remember the exact name of it, but I got it as a Christmas present- it was almost like an oil....I will find it and let you know.

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:33am
post #6 of 17

MMF is yummy as is Satin Ice and Choco Pan (both brands of fondant you can buy).
For some reason all the cakes my family has ordered in the past for weddings and special occassions have been covered in Fondant and everything is always eaten. Maybe we are just lucky that the fondant being used is tasty and not mediciny like Wilton.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:49am
post #7 of 17

MMF is very tasty, nothing like Fondant which is terrible! I just started using MMF and love the look and the taste!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:52am
post #8 of 17

The MMF is good if you like a marshmallow flavor added to the cake's other flavors. I do like the taste, but will admit it can interfere with the other flavors, just another note that sometimes works and others it can be to pronounce. It is all a personal taste. Also, not everyone (guests) likes marshmallows though or overly sugary sweets (traditional fondant.)

I think that is the key, what is important to the bride. Buttercreams are delicious on their own, but will never approach the pristine, clean lines you will get from a fondant cake. Fondant is edible, but not always palatable even when covering a marzipan or buttercream, lowering the bar in the taste department by at least one notch. It is something she will need to decide.

I think making a test cake prior to creating a wedding cake is a must and especially so in your case, that should help. Do two tests using small 6" cakes or even smaller, large tuna cans for pans, one as a pure buttercream, and the other with a fondant covering.

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:33am
post #9 of 17

I never thought to save tuna cans to bake in. That's a great idea, Rodneyck.

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:31am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainee

I never thought to save tuna cans to bake in. That's a great idea, Rodneyck.

Yeah, that is awesome to bake in a tuna can. I recently read a thread on unusual items for use on cakes and it is worth reading all of it. There are so many ideas on there, you would have never thought. ~Josie

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-8964.html

safetymom Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:20pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks everybody! I made a cake yesterday with the MMF (for the first time). The fondant does taste good, and my daughter loves marshmallow, but I am not crazy about having that kind of chewy texture on cake. Maybe it is an acquired thing. My daughter seemed to like it though. I will see if she eats more of the cake today--that will really tell what she thinks. I emailed Choco-Pan to see where I could buy their products locally so I could try it and they overnighted me samples in 5 flavors/colors! I pinched some off to taste and it tastes like fudge...very yummy. Later I am giong to try rolling it out and getting a better idea on the texture. I might have to bake some tuna can cakes for these samples!

Thanks again!

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 17

what web site did you use for Choco-Pan? I want samples!!

safetymom Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 17

Go to Choco-Pan.com and then click on CONTACT US. icon_biggrin.gif

lainee Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom

Thanks everybody! I made a cake yesterday with the MMF (for the first time). The fondant does taste good, and my daughter loves marshmallow, but I am not crazy about having that kind of chewy texture on cake. Maybe it is an acquired thing. My daughter seemed to like it though. I will see if she eats more of the cake today--that will really tell what she thinks. I emailed Choco-Pan to see where I could buy their products locally so I could try it and they overnighted me samples in 5 flavors/colors! I pinched some off to taste and it tastes like fudge...very yummy. Later I am giong to try rolling it out and getting a better idea on the texture. I might have to bake some tuna can cakes for these samples!

Thanks again!

Did you ask them for samples, or did they just offer after you asked where to find it? I just want to know, so I will know how to word my email so I can get some samples. LOL

safetymom Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 17

I asked them where they sell it in Cincinnati, and they replied with a place in the area and also offered to send a sample.

lainee Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks safetymom. Maybe I will get the same response. I was fortunate to find satin ice in my area, but hadn't found any of the other fondant's except Wilton's in my area.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 6 May 2006 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 17

I just sent an email to both Choc-Pan & SAtin Ice - I would love to get samples of both. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%