Woohoo--Walmart Find!!!

Decorating By Mac Updated 6 May 2006 , 7:16pm by cakegal

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 May 2006 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 23

While in one of our Walmart's today, I was perusing the cake isle. Guess what I found????

The 5 lb. box of Wilton Fondant (I know, nasty, but it do make good bows) marked down to $11.00!!!! They had 5 boxes. If I can sweet talk hubby, I may go buy the rest of them.

Like Christmas when I find something like that!

22 replies
Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:57am
post #2 of 23

Good for you Mac! I'm annoyed because my W-M moved the cake stuff around and there seems to be less than before, which wasn't much. Guess I have to pay extra to AC Moore. icon_mad.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:00am
post #3 of 23

My local Walmart also moved stuff around and now there is definitely less cake decorating stuff than there used to be.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:04am
post #4 of 23

hmm....my walmart moved things around, but I've noticed more things...I guess it's location.

Yay for you, Mac!

kimburkett_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimburkett_83 Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:10am
post #5 of 23

I think we need to protest to walmart to add to the cake section because ours sucks! They moved everything also. ALWAYS out of stock on EVERYTHING! Just hope and pray that it is there!

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:19am
post #6 of 23

My WM moved things around as well, and they are carring a LOT more stuff than before. I'm glad for that!!!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:21am
post #7 of 23

you guys have cake sections in your walmart!!?? sooo, angry at WM Canada! our baking section consists of a few pans and some muffin liners! That's about it...lol

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:36am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakequeen

you guys have cake sections in your walmart!!?? sooo, angry at WM Canada! our baking section consists of a few pans and some muffin liners! That's about it...lol

Have you looked in the craft area? In Walmart's I have seen the Wilton Cake Decorating items in the craft section, usually only a 1/4 of an aisle.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:38am
post #9 of 23

Walmart is notorious for moving things. I use the Crisco shortening sticks and now they have moved them to the top shelf. I'm 5' 2"!!!
Can't reach them if there aren't any right at the front of the shelf.

The other day there were 4 packages at the very back of the top shelf--I had to stand way back at the other shelf to see them and no employee around to help. Isn't that just like Walmart. Where are the blue vests when ya need 'em?

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:32am
post #10 of 23

What is the deal with walmart moving everything around changing stuff up??? Ours has been "remodeling" and I am getting so mad I do not know where anything is anymore!
--The other day we went it was raining and they have been working on repainting the outside, It was primed in White and my 3 yr old says HUUUUH MOM THE RAIN WASHED ALL THE BLUE OFF WALMART. haha LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

If I can sweet talk hubby, I may go buy the rest of them.

Start sweet talking-sounds like a great deal!!! LOL

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:40am
post #11 of 23

Yeah, my Walmart is moving stuff in the cake area as well. But, they brought out more stuff. I never seen that. I had my basket one day with alot of new stuff. LOL. And, about 2 wks ago I went to Michaels and they had 2 1/2 aisles of cake stuff. I could not believe it. Gosh I was in heaven, and wanted alot but I was there only to buy for the big 50th cake for my sister in law's birthday. I was mad! Oh well! icon_smile.gif ~Josie

turquesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turquesa Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:41am
post #12 of 23

Last week, I went to Walmart to have a look at the usual cake section in the crafts area. Saw NOTHING. Then, I asked one of the employees and she said to me that Walmart discontinued the cake section forever!!!!!!!!!
I'm in PR.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:07am
post #13 of 23

Our Walmart is in the process of moving to a bigger building... becoming a Super Walmart. I'm hoping they don't phase out the limited supplies they do carry. Won't it be nice if we could have room for a whole row instead of the 1/4 section it has now. icon_razz.gif

mommachris

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:51am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Walmart is notorious for moving things. I use the Crisco shortening sticks and now they have moved them to the top shelf. I'm 5' 2"!!!

The other day there were 4 packages at the very back of the top shelf--I had to stand way back at the other shelf to see them and no employee around to help. Isn't that just like Walmart. Where are the blue vests when ya need 'em?

OH man do I know exactly what you mean. I am only 5' and they seem to be moving everything I normally get to the top shelf, and of course it is a good seller so when I get there it is on the top back of the shelf also. You are not the only one.

Leily

texa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texa Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:34pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

OH man do I know exactly what you mean. I am only 5' and they seem to be moving everything I normally get to the top shelf, and of course it is a good seller so when I get there it is on the top back of the shelf also. You are not the only one.

Leily

I am sooo with you on this!!! At 5', I find myself having to use the lower shelves as "boosters" to reach stuff on the top shelf. In WM, I am not shy about asking anyone tall who may be around, "Excuse me, would you be kind enough to hand me that (fill in the blank)?" *SMILE SMILE SMILE* Hate to impose upon people, but it beats climbing up shelves and risking the shelf falling down or, worse, ME falling down. icon_lol.gif

The SuperMW here has clearanced a lot of their cake stuff and is reorganizing the shelving for wedding tickytackies. A prospective bride can now pick up a lace-edged veil at WM in a sealed poly sack. icon_confused.gif

The few things WM still carries are considerably cheaper than HobbyLobby, JoAnn's and Michael's, unless I have a coupon. Long live coupons!! icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:38pm
post #16 of 23

I am wondering if many Walmarts are going to discontinue their cake sections? I went there the other day and it was bare...but I also found the small alphebet and number fondant cutouts on clearance for $3.00!!! Regular price at Michael's is $15.00.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 4 May 2006 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquesa

Last week, I went to Walmart to have a look at the usual cake section in the crafts area. Saw NOTHING. Then, I asked one of the employees and she said to me that Walmart discontinued the cake section forever!!!!!!!!!
I'm in PR.

did they say why and what part of PR are you from.
shaddi

see when i went to my walmart they had all the things down but they were just changing it making room for the new things that they were putting up and they had lot of new wilton stuff that were coming out from the new book...

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:10pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by texa

I am sooo with you on this!!! At 5', I find myself having to use the lower shelves as "boosters" to reach stuff on the top shelf. In WM, I am not shy about asking anyone tall who may be around, "Excuse me, would you be kind enough to hand me that (fill in the blank)?" *SMILE SMILE SMILE* Hate to impose upon people, but it beats climbing up shelves and risking the shelf falling down or, worse, ME falling down. icon_lol.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

I just wanted to say I am 6' tall and I never mind handing stuff to anyone, in fact I really like it when I can help someone out. Hate being so tall so mine as well do some good, so ASK AWAY!!!!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog

Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif

I just wanted to say I am 6' tall and I never mind handing stuff to anyone, in fact I really like it when I can help someone out. Hate being so tall so mine as well do some good, so ASK AWAY!!!!

Me too! I am 6' and always will to help except for when the word "big" comes into play. This lady asked me to get something for her since I was so much bigger than her........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr icon_mad.gif ...... Taller being the key word here people.....and although bigger might be true... still don't want to hear it! icon_lol.gif

Our WalMart just remodeled their Craft section and there is a ton of Wilton and Wilton Wedding stuff. One side of a whole isle! They even have premade fondant bows and flowers! Nice bows too. They are expensive though. Can't justify it.

bj

texa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texa Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 23

Oh my, BJ, how RUDE that someone would make a derogatory comment about size!!! icon_surprised.gif I shouldn't be too surprised, I guess. Honestly, those of us who are "vertically challenged" don't often consider the downside of being tall...heck, most of the time, I can't think of ANYthing bad about being taller! I have a good friend who's also close to 6' and she has a terrible time finding blouses/shirts with sleeves long enough; I would offer her the extra 4" off of my sleeves if I could. icon_lol.gif Mostly I just worry that she can see the top of my refrigerator when she comes over, as I never think about dusting it!!!

I'm a firm believer in "what comes around, goes around" and try to be helpful whenever I can. There have been quite a few times when I've had to navigate the tubes in the kiddie playground at McDonald's to retrieve a child for a parent who didn't feel comfortable with squeezing into it. Always happy to help. thumbs_up.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:52pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:

There have been quite a few times when I've had to navigate the tubes in the kiddie playground at McDonald's to retrieve a child for a parent who didn't feel comfortable with squeezing into it. Always happy to help. thumbs_up.gif

That's too funny!!!! icon_lol.gif I have had to get assistance too especially at this one particular Chucky Cheese and the tube runs the length of the building!!

bj

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:58pm
post #22 of 23

cupcakequeen, our local Walmart also moved the cake supplies to the craft section. I was in there the other day and they had tons of decorations for weddings. A lot more than usual. However, they had less of everything else, pans, cutters, bags, etc.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 6 May 2006 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 23

My WM's don't sell a big assortment of cake supplies either...They want to hog the market for everything but don't carry a good supply for cake decorators...
They sure carry enough for scrapbooking ppl...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%