Wedding Cake Nerves (Afterwards)

Decorating By shipleyc Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 6:06pm by shipleyc

shipleyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shipleyc Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone else ever get nervous after they set up a wedding cake and leave before the reception starts?
I did a huge wedding this weekend. I set up the cakes and they looked great. I was very pleased and relieved that they turned out so well. This was the biggest wedding that I have ever done. Not to mention one of the only that I have done that I wasn't attending the wedding & reception. The bride was not at the reception site to approve/see the cakes before I left. I also had to leave before the florist was there to put the flowers on the cakes. I left my husband/helper there with the camera to wait for the florist and very strict instructions on what the florist was/was not allowed to do to the cakes. I was very nervous that something would go wrong after I left the cakes all weekend long. I spoke with the bride's mother this morning and she said that the bride (and everyone else) loved the cakes. Big sigh of relief, but I didn't sleep well all weekend because I was so nervous!

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 16

Ahhh..... the advantage I have because my pricing includes me cutting and serving the wedding cake! No post-set-up nervous breakdown! Cake is always cut the right size, equipment always returned same night. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 16

I'm glad everything went well for you. Please post pictures of the finished cake.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 16

I hear you on the nerves thing. I had to set up 4 hours before and they were going to take care of serving--mistake there. The cake was fine, but they ran out--enough for about 300 and only 200 guests? I did not like leaving the cakes out since they were the first to arrive--before the decorating was done--only the cake table had the table cloth on it. When I left there were a few people trickling in to set up and kids running everywhere! It is hard to set up and leave since if anything happens it is your fault! icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to see pictures!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 16

That's smart INDYDEBI------how much extra do you charge to do that???

tburkhalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tburkhalter Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 16

I'm with you on being nervous! I get a bad case of nerves before I start decorating and after it is set up... I just want my customer to be happy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1207

That's smart INDYDEBI------how much extra do you charge to do that???

I sell my cakes in a package form ... cake, plates, forks, mints, nuts, punch, punch fountain, cups, table linens, delivery, set-up, serving and tear-down & clean up (of the food tables). Plus I do catering, so 9 times out of 10, I'm there anyway with the buffet. It's easy to just slide over and cut the cake while my crew is tearing down the buffet table.

Feedback from my brides is that this service is one of the top 5 reasons they go with me. I take care of everything for them and they don't have to worry about little details.

shipleyc Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 16

I will try to post the pics in my photos. I have been trying all day and my computer won't let me for some reason.

I too just want them to be happy, but it really takes a toll on my stomach and my sleep!

shipleyc Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 16

Here are the pics from the wedding:
LL
LL

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 16

Ack, I can only see a little corner of the cake=( I went to look in your photos and it wasnt there either=( Would love to see it! Jen

shipleyc Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 16

Check them out now. They are a little small, but I am not sure how to edit them to make them the right sizes.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 16

They look great! The top one with flowers is pretty!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 16

quote: It is hard to set up and leave since if anything happens it is your fault! :unquote

IT IS NOT!
Let the bride know up front that you will need to have someone authorized sign off on your cakes BEFORE YOU LEAVE!! Also take a picture of the entire cake table and staple it to the signed document.
It's called - covering your own a$$.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 16

I have something in my short contract that says once the cake is safely delivered that I no longer take any responsibility for what happens to the cake. I also take photos of it set up for my own portfolio but also to prove I brought the cake looking nice and got it set up right. So far so good...if anything has happened, nobody has written me to let me know. I always wish more brides would send feedback but since I don't get alot of weddings and the ones I do get probably go off on their honeymoon and don't figure they need to comment on all their stuff they did for their wedding, I generally do not hear from them.

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 16

the cakes look great, I love the table cloth, is it yours or is it the brides?

shipleyc Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 16

Amy83: The tablecloth was the brides. It was very pretty.
This was the last wedding cake that I will be doing without a contract. When I originally met with this bride (last summer) I wasn't using a contract (I know stupid, but I learned my lesson the hard way). All other weddings that I have coming up I have a contract for. That was the first time that I had ever set one up without there being someone there to approve the cake. I am just not used to that. My contract now does state that someone must be there in order to approve the cakes and setup. I honestly never thought that there wouldn't be someone there to approve them. I just assumed someone would be there decorating or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%