Covering A Sportsball In Mmf ???

Decorating By stlalohagal Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm by leily

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 3

Anyone have any suggestions before I make a disaster cake? ! icon_smile.gif

I"m going to make (or attempt to make) one of the Tea Pot cakes and I've got my sports ball all made and an extra piece for the top to make it a bit taller. I've got the extra piece figured out but I'm a bit nervous about covering a totally round object with fondant. I've done a round cake, a heart, and square but I'm not sure what to expect, and maybe I'm being over dramatic but isn't it going to have lots of creases and folds on the bottom from where they all come together???

If anyone can offer ANY advise - lay it on me! Thanks guys!!! icon_lol.gif

- Paula

2 replies
Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 3

bump...I have also wonder this...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 3

very carefully!

I covered the basketball and the strawberry shortcake in my photos (both made from the wilton round sportsball pan). I used MMF and rolled it about 1/16" thick.

Set the ball up on a stand so all the fondant hangs off. Lay the fondant over the ball and quickly cut off any excessive amount hanging down (I found out the hard way it will tear quickly if I didn't do this)

then start at the top and work your way around the cake and down and the same time. Gradually pull and smooth and anytime you see your getting excessive fondant hanging off the bottom stop and cut it off. I did end up with a coupld of seams on the strawberry shortcake but the ball i did second and used what I learned from the first one and it turned out fairly well.

if you are going to get seams try to get them all in one location so you can cover them up easier =)

HTH.. I am sure my directions are as clear as mud =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%