What Would You Have Charged For This Cake?

Decorating By Jennkrem Updated 4 May 2005 , 3:34am by JessicaM

Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 31

I'm still sort of stumped on pricing, so I thought I would ask you guys.
LL

30 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 31

How big is the cake and what is it (filling?)

Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 31

It's an 8 inch heart, double layer, not filled, just icing in the middle, chocolate cake with milk chocolate chips blended in the batter.

thecakemaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 31

I would have gone with $20- $25. I'm not sure where you are or what they going rate is there compared to here in Maryland. It was nicely decorated - not just standard flowers and writing.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 31

yes, i was thinking the same! 20-25. there is a picture in my photos.. of a cake i made yesterday....

my sisters say to sell that one for 25.00..

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 31

If I was making it, I would have charged $22.

To make charging easier--you should really price out how much it takes to make the cake and then price accordingly. It's kind of a pain to figure out but once you do--it's a "piece of cake" (pun intended!) to figure out your pricing.

If that is basketweave on the sides--I would have gone $26 because of the added work.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 31

I would have charged about $25 as well. Maybe 2 or 3 dollars more if you added chocolate chips.

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 31

Hi Jennkrem! I think that I would charge $22 plus you might want to include your treveling millage or gas money when delivering your cakes, cause it would cost you gas, millage and maybe bridge tolls to get from and to. So in brief, try to include your treveling expenses in your pricing of your baked goods. icon_smile.gif

Hi momof3jotynjake! I need to make a cake for next Tuesday and would like to make the basketweave around an 9 inch cake. Do you know of an easy way of doing this without bending your head down for so long. I don't have the Wilton tilting table, I just have the manual standard revolving table. I plan on freezing the cake once I have put on the basketweave and the base border. I plan on finishing the rest of the decors on Tuesday evening. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I saw one of your recent cakes that had a cake with basketweave, beautiful job and also the decors. and writing. icon_smile.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 3 May 2005 , 12:53am
post #9 of 31

I would have charge around $25 because it's a small cake and has no special filling.

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 1:05am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cakes

Hi Jennkrem! I think that I would charge $22 plus you might want to include your treveling millage or gas money when delivering your cakes, cause it would cost you gas, millage and maybe bridge tolls to get from and to. So in brief, try to include your treveling expenses in your pricing of your baked goods. icon_smile.gif

Hi momof3jotynjake! I need to make a cake for next Tuesday and would like to make the basketweave around an 9 inch cake. Do you know of an easy way of doing this without bending your head down for so long. I don't have the Wilton tilting table, I just have the manual standard revolving table. I plan on freezing the cake once I have put on the basketweave and the base border. I plan on finishing the rest of the decors on Tuesday evening. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I saw one of your recent cakes that had a cake with basketweave, beautiful job and also the decors. and writing. icon_smile.gif

hello 2 cakes, i wish there was an easier way!
lol. i have the standard revolving table too, and that is what i did it on.... my wrist was what was killing me! LOL!... make sure you post pics when your done!!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:26am
post #11 of 31

Its all going to depend on where you live what your cost for this cake is.. I would say if I was to have made this cake I would have charged $35 - $40 for this cake... I would suggest that you get a price Matrix from Calif4dawn (Dawn) or myself .. Unless your able to make your own spread sheet with all of the information on your costs. This way you know what you should charge..

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:49am
post #12 of 31

I've read about the pricing matrix .. how can we get it sent to us?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:55am
post #13 of 31

I just read a post in the cake disasters forum about one of the tilting turntables that dropped a cake, and there have been a couple of others before that had similar problems with it not staying locked in place, so maybe you are better off without it!
Janice

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:09am
post #14 of 31

Ladycake would you mind sending pricing matrix please!

Thank you so much
I love this site
You guys are great.

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:15am
post #15 of 31

Momof3 and 2cakes, I just did a basketweave w/ strawberries and I wanted to avoid the neckache too. So my brilliant (or crazy) idea was I fond the biggest box I had in my house at the time (happened to be a giant sized Huggies box) placed it on it's side on my counter top and then put my cheapo flat Wilton turntable on it and then it was close to my eye level. Given that I'm only 5'4" tall that isn't that high but maybe you have something in your house that would work better.

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:22am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

Momof3 and 2cakes, I just did a basketweave w/ strawberries and I wanted to avoid the neckache too. So my brilliant (or crazy) idea was I fond the biggest box I had in my house at the time (happened to be a giant sized Huggies box) placed it on it's side on my counter top and then put my cheapo flat Wilton turntable on it and then it was close to my eye level. Given that I'm only 5'4" tall that isn't that high but maybe you have something in your house that would work better.

great idea mo!! sounds good! thank you!!!!!!!!

thecakemaker Posted 3 May 2005 , 12:26pm
post #17 of 31

When I do basket weave I get a stool and sit down eye level with the cake. It works great!

Debbie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:00pm
post #18 of 31

I personally would charge no less then $25 for that cake, maybe even $30. I think it is just beautiful and I love the roses on the cake.

2cakes Posted 3 May 2005 , 8:30pm
post #19 of 31

Hi momof3 and Debbie! Two great ideas and I am going to try both of them, I am also 5'4 height and have to see things at eye level and these ideas would not cause one to have neck pain. Thank you both so very much. icon_smile.gif

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 3 May 2005 , 8:40pm
post #20 of 31

I do the same thing... put my cheapo turntable on something tall... but I sit when I do it... saves my back!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 3 May 2005 , 8:58pm
post #21 of 31

yes, I hope you didn't charge under $25.
For sure $25 to $30 for 8"...$40 is too pricey.

Consider the amount of time you put into it, how much you want to get paid per hour, plus the cost of ingredients, delivery, etc.

2cakes Posted 3 May 2005 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 31

Hi momof3! Once I am with my disposable digital camera, I will definitely post the pics. Now the question is how would I go about doing this? Cause I have never posted pics before. I am wondering if any one in the forum knows how or maybe I'll just wait until I get the pics developed and can ask the question uh.

Hi Ladycake/Calif5dawn (Dawn)! Can either one of you send me a copy of the price Matrix. I greatly appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Gloria icon_smile.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 9:21pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:

Hi momof3! Once I am with my disposable digital camera, I will definitely post the pics. Now the question is how would I go about doing this? Cause I have never posted pics before. I am wondering if any one in the forum knows how or maybe I'll just wait until I get the pics developed and can ask the question uh.

Hi Ladycake/Calif5dawn (Dawn)! Can either one of you send me a copy of the price Matrix. I greatly appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Gloria icon_smile.gif

hi 2 cakes! see if the camera comes with a program.. a photo program and a plug that will go from computer to the camera,,, then you just plug in the plug.. and it will prompt you to download the pics from camera to computer! its that simple! icon_smile.gif!
cant wait to see pics!!!

2cakes Posted 3 May 2005 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 31

Hi momof3! The one I have is a Kodak plusdigital only comes in pics and picture cd, which would allow me to share and e-mail pics. Unfortunately it does not have the plug in type, but thanks for showing me how to process the use of the camera. icon_smile.gif

Gloria

m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 10:07pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:

Gloria icon_smile.gif

It's easy to upload pics. Go into the Galleries area, click on Upload Photos, Select the area that the cake applies to, add description, keywords for searches if need be, click on Browse... find your file, click on ok to autofill the filename, and then click on Upload.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 3 May 2005 , 10:17pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakequeen

yes, I hope you didn't charge under $25.
For sure $25 to $30 for 8"...$40 is too pricey.

Consider the amount of time you put into it, how much you want to get paid per hour, plus the cost of ingredients, delivery, etc.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT CUPCAKEQUEEN. I WOULD CHARGE BETWEEN $25 AND $30 FOR THE 8 INCH DOUBLE LAYER HEART. THE EXTRA ICING TO MAKE THE FLOWERS WOULD ALSO BE INCLUDED, SO YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH CHARGING THE $30. JUST MY TWO CENTS.

2cakes Posted 3 May 2005 , 11:11pm
post #27 of 31

Hi mOuse! Very helpful information for pics. Thank you so very much. I am looking forward to downloading and seeing the pics on the gallery. Thanks again mOuse.

Gloria

m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 11:15pm
post #28 of 31

Your welcome! thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 May 2005 , 12:54am
post #29 of 31

For an 8" two layer heart shape cake I wouldn't charge less than $30. If I did basketweave that'd be an additional charge, probably $5-10, because it's very time consuming. I think this would also depend on the size of the basketweave too. The smaller the weave the more labor intensive it is. I thought my right hand would drop off by the time I got 3/4 way around a cake doing the weave. I mean I was almost in tears. I got myself a parafin bath after doing my last basketweave and it takes the ache out of my hands, thank goodness. It was $35 very well spent. It works on feet too!

I checked at Wal Mart yesterday and they charge $4.00 extra for an 8.5x11" edible image on a decorated cake, and $5.00 to print one for an individual to use themselves. Just trying to plan for when I get my dedicated printer one day soon. Ü

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 4 May 2005 , 12:59am
post #30 of 31

i would charge 25-30...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%