No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe Questions

Decorating By Edee Updated 15 Dec 2013 , 12:20am by MimiFix

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 16

I was asked to do a cookie bouquet and would like to try the no fail sugar cookie recipe. I always have used a different one and they don't taste good after freezing. So the questions are what kind of butter do I use?? Can it be margarine or does it have to be butter, stick or tub? ect.

Also, these can freeze up nice correct? Can you decorate with royal icing first and then freeze or should I wait until thawed to decorate??

Edee

15 replies
Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 16

Out of the mouth of experience, never use anything but real butter! It is a bit pricey.....but worth it. As a matter of fact, if I can't get it.....I just don't bake. Quality is first!

I have frozen fully baked decorated and on a stick cookies with no problems! Mine were already in individual baggies even! The trick I think is to put them out single layer in front of a "mild heat source" (after you take them out of the freezer). Like a little plug in heater.....this will prevent condensation from forming and ruining your cookies!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 16

I have always used real butter also. But you can use the store brand it does save a little money. You can also add more flavoring if you want. I add 1 TBS of vanilla and 2 tsp of whatever I want ex lemon, orange, etc
Melissa

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 16

I agree with the others. REAL BUTTER ONLY! I add Butavan to my recipe and it ROCKS! There's no flavor like it!

I freeze decorated cookies all the time. Sometimes in containers and sometimes individually wrapped. Where Confectionary2 and I part ways is, I don't assist in the thawing process. As long as they stay wrapped, the condensation will form on the outside of the wrapping rather than on the cookie itself.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I agree with the others. REAL BUTTER ONLY! I add Butavan to my recipe and it ROCKS! There's no flavor like it!

I freeze decorated cookies all the time. Sometimes in containers and sometimes individually wrapped. Where Confectionary2 and I part ways is, I don't assist in the thawing process. As long as they stay wrapped, the condensation will form on the outside of the wrapping rather than on the cookie itself.

I like Butavan as well! Last week I received my first bottle of it. When I opened the bottle to smell of it (like a kid at Christmas), it was familiar to me! Immediately I went to my flavorings and got out my McCormick's "Imitation Vanilla Butter & Nut" flavor and they smell identical. I haven't looked close enough to see which is cheaper. Just thought it was interesting!

Edee Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:18am
post #6 of 16

thanks everyone

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 16

my mom has been using a sugar cookie recipe that i now have since i was a child.....i have never ever used butter...only margerine. they freeze great and taste great. my son's teachers are soooo addicted to them, i am making cookies for his class at least once a month. when people try them for the first time they love them...they say they are a mix between a sugar cookie and shortbread. i have decorated them with both royal icing and mmf...people prefer the mmf. not to brag or anything..lol.

Edee Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 16

I had to make 120 cookies this week and tryed this recipe for the first time. I did use margarine and they turned out fabulous.. thanks everyone for the tips, suggestions. Now on to icing these bad boys!! Thanks again,
Edee

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 16

pookster, mind sharing your fabulous recipe??

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:34am
post #11 of 16

nope, not at all!!!! i just sent you the recipe in your pm...enjoy!!

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:52am
post #12 of 16

I love the no fail sugar cookie recipe from this site. I've used it 4 times now on cookies and my cousin who is the best cook and baker in the world called to tell me they were the best sugar cookies she's ever tasted! That equaled about 1000 compliments to me. I too use real butter only and I use it in the sticks. Also, at the end of the recipe there is a tip to roll it between parchment paper and refrigerate for a short time before cutting and I find that very handy.

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #13 of 16

I love the no fail sugar cookie recipe!!! I use to use the betty crocker mix and use the cut out recipe and my cookies sorta looked like blobs. with the NFSC they look nice. oh and i dont use real butter either!

Deniselynn63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniselynn63 Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 11:18pm
post #14 of 16

Will you share it with others as well?

Deniselynn63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniselynn63 Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 16

Would you be willing to share this recipe for me to try?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 12:20am
post #16 of 16

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%